hiking pants

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by benoit, Sep 16, 2008.

1. benoit

benoit New Member

what is the best hiking 3/4 pants today , i sail in warm water and airprene looks ok but zhik too.
    i don't want something heavy..

benoit

2. Rob B

Rob B Active Member

The Zhik Hybred pant with power pads is by far the best and lightest weight product on the market for warm waters.

3. benoit

benoit New Member

thanks you for your advice, i wil by a Zhik hiking pants 3/4

4. Murphs

Murphs New Member

I have just bought the zhik shorts with powerpads.

I previously had the zhik 3/4 pants (traditional style)

I will never go back, the powerpads are how hikers should have been designed from the beginning

5. lasereng

lasereng Member

what's the best shorts for uk where it's usually cold?

6. Sailorchick

Sailorchick Member

I use the rooster pros and think they are great.

7. laserjosh

laserjosh New Member

i use musto junior range with powerpads these are imence!

8. moray_clark

moray_clark New Member

i have queensport grey ones and zhik first generation and 2nd generation ones

personally if you want lightweight ones go for the queensport or the SEA airprene ones as i have used them both. zhik ones are good when its windy but the pads seem too bulky when its light winds

also with winter coming up i am looking to buy a longjohn hiker.
    i reckon the options are zhik microfleece or superwarm, rooster shin tech or gul longjohn. anyone had any experience with any of these
    oh and i sail in scotland and it does get quite cold!

thanks

9. benoit

benoit New Member

what is the difference between the zhik shorts with powerpadsand the zhik 3/4 pants (traditional style)

i guess you have no knee pads on the shorts?

Benoit

10. Murphs

Murphs New Member

The powerpads can be worn with anything as they are seperate from the pants. The traditional 3/4 pants have the pads in a pocket inside the pants

11. BarePoles

BarePoles New Member

Question on hiking pants I'm looking at Zhik hiking shorts or pants, but

Whats the advantage in having shoulder straps?

Are most still going with the traditional 3/4 hiking pant with straps?

12. Rob B

Rob B Active Member

I think the shoulder straps are a disadvantage as they always slip off and/or pull down into your shoulders causing discomfort, (for me at least).

I prefer the full leg or at least 3/4 leg for the knee protection.

13. Merrily

Merrily Administrator Staff Member

Keeps the pads from slipping down and digging into the backs of your knees. Now that is painful.

14. moray_clark

moray_clark New Member

apparently it gives you some added back support when you do them up really tight!? i dont know whether this is true though

also has anyone ever had any experience with SEA waist lock hikers or the zhik superwarm ones?

15. BarePoles

BarePoles New Member

The SEA waist locks look interesting, just wondering if it'd be kinda annoying having some bulky thing around the waist like that.

I also think the straps might be kinda annoying, but at the same time you sure don't want these things slipping down.

16. Rob B

Rob B Active Member

I kept the shoulder straps tight on my hikers and they just pulled into my shoulders more. I ended up tying the straps together across the front of my chest to keep them from slipping off my shoulders. BTW the pants with the shoulder straps slide down a little too over a 1/2 mile weather leg in good breeze. The neoprene does stretch especially when wet.

The Zhik pants have a draw string around the waist that you can get pretty tight. The power pads slip about the same, (maybe a little less) over a leg as the shoulder strap model hikers do. I've only used the Zhik Hybred pant so far. I've looked at the cold weather farmer john and the mid-range fleece pant. The fleece pant is designed just like the Hybrid pant, but a little thicker with short nap fleece liner. The farmer john cold weather outfit is a lot thicker and the pads slip into the back of the pant. You do not use the power pad thigh neoprene with it. Looks like it will be very warm and the farmer john design will ad much better shoulder support and now way will it slip off your shoulders.

17. BarePoles

BarePoles New Member

Anyone have experience with SEA Airprene Hikers or Magic Marine Competition Hikers?

Looking for something light, that I can wear during the fall and until Frostbiting. I love the Zhik stuff but really can't afford the high prices. Is there anything comparable for us starving students???

18. Rob B

Rob B Active Member

I have the SEA airprene short hikers. I liked them fine for warm and cool weather stuff until I got into the new Zhik stuff.

They are size XL, have fairly light use. I'll sell them for $50.00 if you're interested.

19. BarePoles

BarePoles New Member

Rob, Thanks for the offer, I wish the XL 's would work, but I'm slim fella.

Anyone have some M they wanna get rid of??

20. knot_moving

knot_moving Member

Anyone have experience with the Sailing Angles hikers (I believe) from Miami? I had a pari fo magic marine that were the right price ($50 on ebay) but they never really fit right and were very hot in the summer.

Mike