Hikers over lycra pants

bjmoose

I just bought some new gear for the coming season from APS.

I went to try everything on naturally, to make sure it fit.

I find the zhik ankle boots to be quite large -- I usually wear an 11 and I'm going to send them back and get size 10.

For my slender build, I found the Sailing Angles long sleeve in Medium to be great. I'm 6'0 160, and Larges are always baggy while Mediums are too short in torso and sleeve. The sailing angles shirt has a nice long lean build to it. The sleeves are like two inches longer than the zhik "hydrophobic fleece" top I got to go over it.

Anyhow, I tried on the SEA 3/4 length hikers and they fit fine over plain old lycra shorts worn as a rashguard.

But because it's often cold out, and the water's cold, I bought some lycra pants as an underlayer for extra warmth to cover my calves.

http://www.apsltd.com/Tree/d297000/e296961.asp

I tried to put the hikers on over full length lycra pants, and I couldn't get the hikers to slide up my legs and the whole thing hung up about 2 inches low.

Anyone actually wear hikers over lycra pants? What's the secret??

I wear speedo shorts below my hiking pants, too umm... keep everything sorted.... and they work well, then I wear the SEA 3/4's and their lycra shorts over that to protect, and it all works well. I find that SEA's are made to fit tightly, maybe almost too tightly as downwind there's so much material around the knee's that my legs go numb, so I'm gonna take them to a shop, and have the material taken out behind the knees. I don't think I could sail with long leg undershorts, but I used to do it all the time in my old magic marines

Anyone actually wear hikers over lycra pants? What's the secret??

I sometimes wear mine over lyca long underwear, and they are fine because of the thinness of the material. Are the pants thicker, more like sweat pants? That would make the fit difficult.

Summer here so I mainly go commando...sans anything. Good to keep the jewels free n easy in the breeze. If wind is up I duct tape two 6 x 2 planks to the back of each thigh. Works a treat. And the girls sailing radial love it!

Just got some new magic marine boots yesterday (for winter...) Had a look at their site and check these out:

image.php

Reinforced heavy duty seat, lightweight top. Good for american summers.

Just got some new magic marine boots yesterday (for winter...) Had a look at their site and check these out:

image.php

Reinforced heavy duty seat, lightweight top. Good for american summers.

That's looks too heavy for American summers, which usually just call for swimming trunks and T-shirt (even for the ladies). Unless, of course, you are freezing your tootsies off in SF Bay.

Anyone manage to get a pair of hikers on over top of a full wetsuit? Out here in San Fran the water is COLD and without the wetsuit I'm a goner.

I'm in the bay area m'self. That's why I was trying the lycra pants.

They fit so tight I can't imagine trying to get them on over a wetsuit. If I sized up the hikers so they could go on over a wetsuit, I can't imagine I'd be able to move. I'm thinking michelin man.

Have any of you bay area sailors tried the "superwarm" hikers by Zhik? Those might be a good solution for the bay...(I'm here too and trying to decide which hiking pants to purchase)

I sailed on the bay last summer and I wore three quarter hiking pants with Lycra pants over them, an insulated rash guard, wet suit top, spray top, and boots. I was always warm enough even though I spent a lot of time in the water. I don't know if that would be enough gear in the winter, though.

I wore the Gul wrap around hikers on my thistle sailing days.

They were ok, I'm skinny, and they were hard to get to fit right.

This is a little bit of wonky picture, but I wear these now on the coldest days, and I'm never cold now :) SEA Winter Waist Locks

sea_airprene_waist_lock_hiking_pants_%20winter_2.gif

the secret i have found is to find a nice pair of thin thermal long underwear to wear when it is cold. and add a pair of wool socks in the booties and your bottom half should be good. in my opinion wearing a wetsuit on the bottom would cause there to be too much neoprene and would restrict movement

Back