High WInd GYbing downwind

crazysailor

when i gybe in high winds ;the boom snaps across(duh) and it is almost impossible to keep it from heeling or capsizing. is there any technique or do i just need more practice?

CrazySailor

do it when your at top speed cause then their is less pressure on the sail and if you make it smooth enough you shouldnt have alot of heeling. Plus get to the other side quickly and make sure the mainsheet doesnt get caught on the transom.

sailor327 said:
do it when your at top speed cause then their is less pressure on the sail and if you make it smooth enough you shouldnt have alot of heeling. Plus get to the other side quickly and make sure the mainsheet doesnt get caught on the transom.

Easier said than done.... :D

Sheet in a bit first and give the sheet a sharp tug as it flies across. Anticipate the boom movement by watching the leach, when it flicks - pull, duck and dive!

On the Rooster video: Let the sheet OUT to make the boom go up, then start the turn. The boom dragging in the water is what rolls you. When you get to the point that the gybe should start, but it hasn't, reverse the rudder. The boom will flip across, and give the mainsheet a flick as it goes and get yourself across.

I find if I ease the vang a bit the boom rides up and gives me a little more room to get to the otherside...I have found that speed in getting my fat A-- to the other side is key in not dumping.

I usually pull it in a whole lot and try to have the vang off and head up some while easing the sail. The vang off will let the leech spill air, while heading up will dump some of the force on the sail.

Lately i had been using the tiller extension to snag the mainsheet control line (both parts of it) between the end of the boom and the traveler... using the extension to grab it will allow you to give it a tug and will keep the line from sticking on the transom.

Merrily said:
On the Rooster video: Let the sheet OUT to make the boom go up, then start the turn. The boom dragging in the water is what rolls you. When you get to the point that the gybe should start, but it hasn't, reverse the rudder. The boom will flip across, and give the mainsheet a flick as it goes and get yourself across.

Do you actually gybe like that though? I haven't been able to get it working for me yet.

Originally Posted by Merrily

Do you actually gybe like that though? I haven't been able to get it working for me yet.

Yes - This actually works in heavy wind (and if it works for me, there's hope for all!)
However, you MUST roll the boat towards you to instigate the gybe once you have dropped some sheet. This makes the boat bear away without use of the rudder. Then use some rudder if you want to complete the turn, but as Merrily says you reverse it momentarily to flip the sail over to the new leeward side. In light winds it's the same. The initial roll to windward lifts the boom, and catching the sheet on the transom is less likely.

rock steady said:

It's a little scary the first few tries, but yup, it actually works!

Yes, I need the water to warm up a bit before I have the composure to practice this technique. I must admit the rooster video ceratinly makes it look good.

yeah, i need to wait a while for a heavy wind day to try that, we dont get many of those in florida during the summer. it sounds like a pretty trickey monouver.

Back