Hi everyone! I'm new here...Where to sail?

swims4USA

My name is J.D. Abercrombie, a recently retired swimmer. I placed 5th and 6th in the 200 and 100 butterflies respectively at the 2004 US Olympic Trials. Unfortunately had to retire from swimming because of recurring injuries, and at 25 my body doesn't heal up as quickly as those 18 and 19 year olds.

But now I'm looking to get into sailing. I sailed growing up in the San Juans of Washington (Lasers, Lightnings, FJ's), but never got a chance to race because swimming was my life for 19 years.

I now live in Redondo Beach, CA and work at a sailboat chartering company. Unfortunately, there are very few Lasers around here, and the yacht clubs in Redondo only have youth Laser programs.

Any ideas on how I can get started racing?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Hi everyone! I'm new here...

Welcome to The Laser Forum J.D.! I'm going to move this post to the Laser sailing section so you will get more responses.

Alamitos Bay YC in Long Beach has an active Laser fleet. Steve Smith will be in shortly to post its info.

UCLA's Marina Aquatic Center in Marina del Rey offers instructional classes in Lasers and offers them for rent (to 'certified' participants).

All of the local yacht clubs have Laser sailors, they just don't appear in the dead of winter in SoCal unless you are lucky to catch one.

J.D.

The UCLA MAC at Marina Del Rey runs a Tuesday night series starting around early April. We rig at about 5 and sail for two hours or so; if you don't have a boat, you can borrow one. A typical turnout is 8 to 12 boats, though we've had as many as 20 and as few as 5. It's a friendly group, and a great way to get (back) into racing. Plus, it's cheap, and open to everyone-- including Trojans. Definitely worth the drive from the 'dondo.

Details are on the UCLA MAC website.

Back