here's my hull

ylojelo

Where do I start to repair this? Just for pleasure boating.

hulldamage.jpg

cracks.jpg

also, the bailer seems to be just a hole. This is a '73 I think and it should have a ball inside it, right?

Thanks. Do I need a whole bailer assembly or just the ball or just the bottom part & ball? The top side cap isnt seized but would probably need a new gasket. does the ball just drop in?

Your DePerisa metal bailer is obsolete by something like 25 years. Since it will still unscrew you can keep using it by being creative in your upkeep. I think I read the current bailer ball will work. Check with a Sunfish dealer. Cut yourself new gaskets from Neoprene gasket sheets. 1'x1' sheets are available at hardware stores and plumbing suppliers.

Give that hull a good scrubbing. Then you'll know if painting is needed or just a good rubbing out and a wax job.

Can't say what that big scratch needs. Cross your fingers a refill with gelcoat is all. Does it leak?

I dont know if it leaks, I'll have it in the water this week to find out. that was my reason to put in the inspection port, was to find out if it leaks.

Do I just spend the $40 and replace the whole bailer? Does a new one fit in the same hole?

Do I just spend the $40 and replace the whole bailer? Does a new one fit in the same hole?

The new style fits in the same hole. You may have trouble getting the nut off that holds the old style bailer body to the hull. Mine was frozen and I had to grind it off with a dremel tool.

The new bailer fits. The hole may need a little attention. Nothing you can't do with a rounded rasp or even heavy sandpaper wrapped around a wood dowel. The new bailer isn't an improvement over an old working one.

Inspection port is good, but leaks are best found by the air test method ( http://www.teamvanguard.com/2007/Boats/Sunfish/Rigging/repairs.htm#rigging2 ). If you have a repair to do keeping dry saves hours or even days. I hate to sand back a blister or crack to find water and have to stop while I blow dry or park the boat in the sun until the next weekend when I'll have time to continue. Is the hull extra heavy too?

A different and in my opinion easier way to do the air test: Keep the drain plug screwed in, put a piece of electrical or duct tape over the weep hole and push a ball stem on a bike pump (like the kind you blow balls up with) right through the tape. The tape keeps enough of a seal to do the job.

Scott

Back