Help with Laser Boat Repair

mister

Any advise on shops in the Chicago or Wisconsin area that can repair fiberglass?

I could have some structural damage on the Laser.

Thanks in advance

Michael

I am quite sure Hedlund on Greenbay road in Wilmette does repairs, and if not they know where to go.
What kind of repair do you need? or what are the symptoms that makes you think that you might have some structural damage?

Good luck!

to add to this one I've got a laser with a pretty large gash on the starbord front third, right at the waterline. Pretty much straight through one of the layers of glass where it's started to delaminate.
As far as fixing it I was thinking of cutting out the damaged area and making a dupilcate of the section by laying glass on another laser (on plastic or tape) and peeling it off then glueing it to the inside of the damaged laser. more glass, gelcoat etc..
Is there anything i should watch out for when going about it?

Thanks

Chuoui said:
to add to this one I've got a laser with a pretty large gash on the starbord front third, right at the waterline. Pretty much straight through one of the layers of glass where it's started to delaminate.
As far as fixing it I was thinking of cutting out the damaged area and making a dupilcate of the section by laying glass on another laser (on plastic or tape) and peeling it off then glueing it to the inside of the damaged laser. more glass, gelcoat etc..
Is there anything i should watch out for when going about it?

Thanks

Take a look at this article, it's pretty comprehensive and should help - you shouldn't need to do the layup on another laser first...
http://www.lasersailing.com/article/uk/grp-fixing-a-hole/1

Back