Help repairing a minifish hull

mrc

I am finally getting around to repairing an old minifish I came across a while back. I've been bouncing back and forth between this forum and the Yahoo group and have come across a lot of good information (almost too much information).

I'm at a stall on the proper way to repair the hull. How to get from cleaning it to painting it? I'm just looking for some advice on what you all think needs to be done to get this minifish into sailing shape. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Here are a few pictures of the boat

Attachments

• The Minifish Project 020.jpg
    The Minifish Project 020.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 53
  • The Minifish Project 041.jpg
    The Minifish Project 041.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 50
  • The Minifish Project 055.jpg
    The Minifish Project 055.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 52
  • The Minifish Project 054.jpg
    The Minifish Project 054.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 41
  • The Minifish Project 023.jpg
    The Minifish Project 023.jpg
    296.7 KB · Views: 57
It's hard to tell what it needs until it gets a bath. :D
Start with scrubbing bubbles. When I washed mine, I wet it down, sprayed the scrubbing bubbles on, then wiped with a sponge.
I recommend that before reaching for the ajax or comet.

Most of that stuff in the pictures looks pretty easy to repair. In your last picture, what is that? Who drilled a hole in the bottom of your boat?

That isn't the first time I've heard to use scrubbing bubbles. I'll give that a go. Yea that picture is the bailer hole. I posted it as a close up of the hull's surface. The white paint has obviously chipped away but what is the yellow surface showing through? Is it an old paint job or is that the beginning of the fiberglass?

I agree clean it up gently first and that hole is for the bailer.

Eh, my sarcasm didn't come through I guess. :eek:

That isn't the first time I've heard to use scrubbing bubbles. I'll give that a go. Yea that picture is the bailer hole. I posted it as a close up of the hull's surface. The white paint has obviously chipped away but what is the yellow surface showing through? Is it an old paint job or is that the beginning of the fiberglass?

Where your rudder mount should be is yellow as well, so it might be an old paint job.
Here's what mine looked like under the gel coat:

Attachments

• DSCF1222.JPG
    DSCF1222.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 37

Back