Help me identify this!

shinycat2005

Picked up this neglected sailboat. Trying to identify it. Sail logo looks like Amflite but the hull I've never seen. Looks like someone used house paint on it. Rudder says "Alcort, Newbury, Ct " Appears to be brass. Help!

Attachments

• dirty sailboat 001.jpg
    dirty sailboat 001.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 68
  • dirty sailboat 002.jpg
    dirty sailboat 002.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 64
  • dirty sailboat 003.jpg
    dirty sailboat 003.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 69
  • dirty sailboat 004.jpg
    dirty sailboat 004.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 77
  • dirty sailboat.jpg
    dirty sailboat.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 63
Picked up this neglected sailboat. Trying to identify it. Sail logo looks like Amflite but the hull I've never seen. Looks like someone used house paint on it. Rudder says "Alcort, Newbury, Ct " Appears to be brass. Help!
Well..., I agree that's an AMFlite sail and the rudder is either AMFlite or Sunfish since they used the same parts. The splash deflector looks like it might also be from a Sunfish, but the hull is different from any AMFlite I've seen and it's definitely not a Sunfish.

AMFlite from the Shorty Pen Board Boat Directory
amflite1.jpg

amflite2.jpg

Very early Amflite, found in the wild by Google
dabbwb.jpg

Any chance you can show a picture of the whole hull and maybe one or two of the transom. Original rudder mounts can be helpful in identification, though with that Alcort rudder in the mix things may have been changed out.

Yes, I've never been able to find one like it. Very much like Sunfish except for that open area in the hull. Here are more pictures.

Attachments

• dirty sailboat again 001.jpg
    dirty sailboat again 001.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 37
  • dirty sailboat again 002.jpg
    dirty sailboat again 002.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 44
  • dirty sailboat again 004.jpg
    dirty sailboat again 004.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 45
Any pearls of wisdom as to the best way to start removing the paint? Or should I just start sanding? Hand sand or a finishing sander OK?

Yes, I've never been able to find one like it. Very much like Sunfish except for that open area in the hull. Here are more pictures.
Thanks for the wider view. I have a collection of Sunfish knock-off pictures, boats from the '60s, '70s, and '80s, well over 50 at this point, but this is a new one. Every so often I encounter a look-alike built by a small shop who didn't produce very many boats and left little or no information when they ceased production.

Any pearls of wisdom as to the best way to start removing the paint? Or should I just start sanding? Hand sand or a finishing sander OK?

A fiberglass / Gelcoat friendly paint stripper like Ready Strip will take off paint without sacrificing any of the hull.

00001942.jpg

That's not saying you won't end up sanding down some of it anyway to prepare a sound surface to re-paint.

I use a finishing sander for boats this size.

Back