Help! Lots of water in my boat!

motomagik

So I just spent all spring fixing up a '76 that I bought cheap last fall. I did some minor scratch repair and painted the boat. Finally I got to go sailing for the first time this spring. I was out for a couple of hours, pretty light conditions, absolutely no waves or excitement of any kind. There was only a tiny amount of water in the cockpit around the bailer, maybe a cup or so.
But then, when I got the boat back on the trailer, I opened the drain on the stern and and a LOT of water came out. Like, really, a lot. Probably 1/2 a gallon, maybe more? It just kept coming out, for what seemed like forever.
Is it possible I would get water in the hull from the bailer? I don't have a great understanding of how those things work, and it's the only place I can think of that could be leaking. Except for maybe the stern drain itself? :(

1. Lather up the boat with some sudsy water everywhere.
2. Some how attach an air hose in the drain plug to pressurize (around 10 psi) the hull.
3. Watch for bubbles.
4. Mark the hull.
5. Wash & Dry.
6. Repair the hole with epoxy.
7. Top off with polyester if it is a show surface.

Be careful about using compressed air as might be suggested in step two above. You can achieve the same results with less risk of separating the hull/deck joint with lung power or the exhaust side of a shop vac

Back