help for selecting a pintle

Cada52

Hi, I have a sunfish bought in 1971 and the pintle is missing. I have been using a screwdriver in its place. I would like to buy a new one, but there are 3 pintles to choose from, one with a spring, another with a hole and the final one just says pintle pin. Does anyone know which is the correct one for an older sunfish?
Cathy

Hey Cathy,

Please tell what you are looking at for your choices. I have had Sunfish with the old style rudder. Those parts aren't made any more. You can sometimes find used. I think there is someone on the Forum here who has a source of old parts. Check at Sunfish Sailor Yahoo Group. They have pictures and diagrams too.

Mol

Cada52

Try AMF Boat Parts http://www.geocities.com/amfboats/ Howie there may have what you need. I am guessing that you need the Horizontal Hinge Pin for the old style rudder assembly (bronze straps top and bottom with other parts). You may be able to fabricate one from a bolt with a hole drilled in it for a small hitch pin. A ¼” brass bolt or rod would be best. The original brass pin had a loop with a small chain at one end and a pivoting brass keeper at the other. You lined up the keeper with the rod and inserted it into the holes in the top plate and rudder and then let the keeper pivot open to hold everything in place. These pins were frequently lost when the chain broke :mad: . Attached picture is a steel bolt with small hitch pin to give you an idea. Good Luck.

Attachments

• picsunfishpintle1.jpg
    picsunfishpintle1.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 26
If it's the horizontal pin you need, simply go to the hardware store and buy a brass screw and wing nut of the proper dimension. Buy a few so that if you lose one, you'll have spares! Not much $$ at all.

Back