Help choosing a boat!!!

Linc_Allen

Hi everyone. I searched a little bit on the forum but couldn't find the answers to my questions. I have grown up sailing big boats ( 45+ feet) but recently have wanted a laser or general sailing dinghy. My problem is I don't know much about the types, styles, designs, and builders. I'm not looking to race right now but later on down the road I might want to enter some amateur/fun races at my local yacht club. It needs to be able to be capsized and righted easily and without any bailing required. I also would like it to be roomy enough for 2 people to do some day sailing in. I have been hearing about lasers and force fives mostly but I don't know which models I should be looking at for both one and two person days and easy righting. I also can't afford a new boat so I'm looking for something several years old, possibly going back 20 years if I can find something that works and is in good shape. I would love any and all help that you can provide.

Thanks,

Lincoln

If you are a member of a club or considering joining a club, the best boat is the boat that other people are sailing. If your local club has a laser fleet with people you like, that would be a great choice.

The Laser certainly fits the 'easily capsized and righted' bill. It's very easy to get the boat back up. I don't race mine and frequently go out with a second person, and it's a good boat for that. However, you may want to look at something a little bit larger if you plan to spend a lot of time in the boat with a second person. If you prefer to stick to something about the size of a Laser, a Sunfish is also worth checking out. They're easier/faster to rig and sail.

Surprisingly the Laser will get the vote on the Laser forum!

I also sail a Laser Vago single handed/with a crew, it takes a bit of learning but is a LOT of fun!

Back