Help build a fleet

tural

Advice needed on how do you grow a Laser fleet.
Background:
Im a relatively new sailor and joined a good club with good people but where the Laser is very much a second fleet. God supportive group in the primary fleet though.
2012 was a good year and we have seen the odd race approaching double digits which, for us, is a big thing.
Today:
We are at a crux point though and id appreciate any wise heads on tips regarding keeping a fleet together and indeed building the thing.
Marketing, training, morale, managing yawning gap of abilities, new blood etc
We are in a major city

Any advice and experience much appreciated

Racing should be competitive, friendly and fun. Incentives like a pizza party after encourage the fleet to bond. Be willing to share your secrets, your fleet is only as good as your weakest sailor.

I would suggest some good marketing, I found out about my fleet by word of mouth, more than 10 years after I started sailing lasers!

Sometimes just putting up fliers at local sailing clubs, beaches, online ect. can work pretty well. Encourage fleet members to bring friends, and make it extremely easy for anyone that want's to join the fleet to do so.

We've got 2 fleet boats that we rent for anyone that wants to race, the fleet charges either by year, season, or day. Its slightly cheaper to sign up for more sailing.

In the UK many clubs are very very "cliquey". Long term members all know each other and chat to each other and new members are a bit "left out". It is a very dramatic effect - and very hard to notice unless you are a new member. The existing cliques are totally unaware of what they are doing. And it is a major aspect to keeping people and keeping them coming each week.

It is not just a matter of having a new member drinks session or organised things (though also worth doing). It is a matter of everybody making the effort to ensure new members/back of fleet are kept in with the post race "analysis" discussion, etc.

I have been a member of several clubs in the last 4 years (about 5 or 6) as I have moved and sought better fleets. And the one club that was most successful has probably the worst and most restrictive sailing waters in a real backwater, worst facilities - but dinghy captain so friendly and inclusive he made sure all the time that newcomers/everybody was included and it just became the way the club did things and everybody else did the same and it was by far the most successful of all the clubs getting excellent turn-outs.

I was at one club (not the one above) where everything was "OK" not unfriendly but not really encouraging. And one day I came 6th in an evening race (my conditions, I got things right) and after that people were coming up and chatting "when you rounded the 3rd mark I thought I'd get through but didn't ...". Why wait until I got a decent result before starting to be really friendly ... [obvious answer]. But it was an instant and obvious change; like flicking a switch.

This is a major aspect in the UK - maybe due to the UK character but it is a major factor.

I would imagine that building a fleet can be from existing club members changing class or new members. Which is most important probably depends on other club fleets and most places I have sailed have only had people move to Lasers after losing their helm/crew in a two-up boat. So for many clubs I would expect the bulk of fleet growth would be new members. Poaching from other clubs it is a bit of a chicken & egg - people will move to a successful fleet sometimes (depending on their own club/fleet). I have known people really hacked-off with their club and the mistakes, constraints and way things are done - but they still wont move because it is the club they have been members of for years. Even people unhappy and in a fleet that provides little competition at their level and with an alternative excellent fleet a short drive away - and they don't change club.

Maybe think about fleet open days. Invite people to come along and sail for a race or two before joining (check club insurance, etc.). Emphasise to cadets the advantages of a Laser (keep the hull and change up 4.7 through to standard) - means parents don't have to keep buying new boats. Look at those in the cadet fleet (i.e. youngsters, NOT the Cadet class) and encourage them that Laser is the way to go when they leave Oppys (or whenever appropriate). Make sure cadets have a gentle time starting racing (i.e. don't allow the hot shots to push every rule at a mark when lapping a cadet). Congratulate them for something (anything) after their first few races. Basically, if it is a positive experience youngsters are more likely to keep going - negative experience will make sure they don't.

Offer to help people check-out a boat they are thinking of buying. Help new Laser owners rig boats and get on the water. Make sure when coming ashore people help each other rather than people needing to beach their boats to fetch their trolley. etc., etc. Because you would be surprised how all these very obvious things are often forgotten when people have been doing it their way for years and years.

Basically, if somebody new comes make sure they keep coming. Getting them to turn-up once is over half the battle but leaving them to get on with it throws that away. Boat parks are full of Lasers that never go out year after year.

Ian
(speaking from UK experiences)

Ian

Also get in touch with your local RYA Regional Development Officer. They have funding available that can pay for fleet development activites such as paying for a coach to come for day. Also forging links with other local fleets is a good idea and making sure you all support each others Open Meetings can make a big difference.

Plus having a dynamic and outgoing fleet captain is a good idea. When I was fleet captain I managed to grown the fleet from 2 or 3 regulars to 10+ regulars simply by encouraging people out on to the water and being there and available to talk to. Also get the guys at the front to help the guys at the back. Kind of like a buddy system and see if you can award extra prizes such as most improved, endeavor and best capsize over the season. Basically make them feel like they are not just making up the numbers.

Back