Heavy Sunfish

Discussion in 'Sunfish Talk' started by jleonard99, Apr 16, 2017.

1. PeterS

PeterS New Member

Thanks all for the help with this! Hoping for great results!

• Like Like x 1
  2. jleonard99

jleonard99 Sunny Sailer

Sorry I didn't detail some parts right. I placed the boat face up as if would regularly sit, then hung the light bulb from the top of the port hole so the chord hangs short enough so it doesn't touch the bottom of the hull. The fan would be placed on top of the inspection port and lay there over there over the hole to blow outside air into the boat, the air would then hit the light bulb which heats the part around it, but also warms the air as it blows through the boat. First I would not worry about positioning the air, I only did that for three days and am not sure of the affects as the air seemed to circulate well beforehand as I was using a powerful fan. Leave the drain plug open so it has a small are for air to exit. I hope this helps, If i understand right your port is positioned within the cockpit so my method may not be exact. If that's the case I would try to make a sort of stand for the light bulb and put it in the hull so it sits there. Place the fan on a stand outside the port and just have it blow into the hole and let time do its job. If you have any more questions feel free to ask. I enjoy working with these boats and helping my fellow Sunfish sailers.

3. PeterS

PeterS New Member

Thanks-- as I'm visualizing all of this, your suggestion on a stand for the light bulb sounds perfect.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Light and Variable Winds

Light and Variable Winds Well-Known Member

Since you're using a conventional 6-inch inspection port in the bulkhead—instead of a rectangular 12-inch portlightI'd expect the 6" opening would be too small. The larger "portlight" gains a circulation advantage from the boat's built-in tunnel towards the Sunfish's nether region.

Fullscreen capture 592017 45006 AM.bmp.jpg

5. Light and Variable Winds

Let's see: Indoors, a light bulb would power this 3" fan, sending warmer air through an inspection port.

Outdoors is trickier, as provision has to be made to weatherproof this fan. :confused: I do have a plastic milk crate with the bottom falling out—and a sheet of clear plastic. :)
    Fullscreen capture 5102017 54845 AM.bmp.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  6. jleonard99

jleonard99 Sunny Sailer

That looks very useful. I may have to order one of those for the future. Awesome recommendation.

7. Light and Variable Winds

While looking for an Ethernet cable, eBay reminded me of still another fan.

This one is interesting, as it is Lithium-battery powered—with a cord included. I have a $5 cylindrical Lithium-battery that is charged by the USB port on a computer (or cigarette lighter). Dunno how long the charge will drive this fan, but it's an alternative when drying a Sunfish when in deep shade, or that's distant from other power sources:

Fullscreen capture 7242017 64959 PM.bmp.jpg

Portable Fan Rechargeable Battery Mini Oscillating Clip On black Desk/ Stroller | eBay

8. Light and Variable Winds

If you want to go sailing right away, inflate this inside the cockpit, so further leaking could still find you out sailing again...:p...:

[​IMG]
    Blame eBay, which sends out emails with "other products from this seller". ;)