Heavy Sunfish

Discussion in 'Sunfish Talk' started by jleonard99, Apr 16, 2017.

1. jleonard99

jleonard99 New Member

Hey everyone, I just bought a 1978 Sunfish and once I got home and pulled it off the trailer I noticed it was heavy. The hull looks to be in amazing condition, but it doesn't have any inspection ports, so I figure it is time for that. I am planning on installing just one behind the splash guard. When I first moved the boat, I heard a swish noise so I opened the drain plug and a small amount of water came out. I would appreciate any recommendations for fixing the boat.
    Thanks Josh

2. Charles Howard

Charles Howard Member

Leak test before you put in the port

• Like Like x 1
  3. jleonard99

jleonard99 New Member

Thanks for the advice, I just found the exact weight 160 pounds.

4. Webfoot1

Webfoot1 Member

That's about 4 gallons of water in the foam, mostly the expanding foam. There is some interesting
    info on the net about using Desiccants to dry out boats. No sure which would be faster, a fan
    or the Desiccants. Probably not both since the hull needs to be sealed for the Desiccants to work.

• Like Like x 1
  5. jleonard99

jleonard99 New Member

Thanks for the recommendations, I went ahead and cut the inspection port hole and did the light bulb and fan method. Hopefully it works quick.

6. Light and Variable Winds

Light and Variable Winds Well-Known Member

Congratulations on finding this hull and converting it to fun... :)

"Quick" is affected by drying hulls faster:

1) in northern states, where humidity is lower,

2) receiving "solar-gain" from direct sun: cut, open, and spread black plastic to hasten this effect,

3) directing the fan's breeze internally—"swirl" using the longest dryer duct that will fit, or...

4) cut two ports—fore and aft.

Drying is measured in weeks—not days. Weigh the hull weekly to measure progress.

• Like Like x 1
  7. jleonard99

jleonard99 New Member

Thanks for the advice, I have been doing this project inside so hopefully humidity won't be a factor in slowing the process. I will definitely do number 3 and I really like that recommendation. I will update on the weight of the hull next week for first progress. Thanks

8. Dion_Dunn

Dion_Dunn New Member

I just finished drying mine out - at least as far as I'm going to go. It already had a 4" inspection port at the aft end, and I added a 6" port just aft of the splash rail. I used the light bulb and fan method. I could really 'feel' the moisture in the foam at the rear, but the front foam felt dry so I kept the light at the aft end. AFter 3 weeks in my garage during relatively low humidity, she went from 138 lbs to 130 lbs, and that's where it's going to stay for now. Good enough for me for a 33 year old boat.