Heavy boat 156lbs

3literpwr

I am in the middle of repairing the mast step on my 78 laser and decided to get her on the scale tonight. She came in at 156lbs which seems like a a lot, but I guess some of this is the paint on the deck plus water. When I cut the holes for the mast step repair I was able to squeeze the foam a bit and get some water to bubble up. I have a fan in the hole now, but it wont stop raining here in Michigan, so i don't know how effective that will be.

Regards
Larry

I also recently bought a 70s Laser (sail 52258). It weighed in around 62 kilos (137 lbs). My boat has been stored undercover though and so is dry inside. The foam blocks inside are loose however. Is this normal or should they be attached so as to provide support to the deck?

I also recently bought a 70s Laser (sail 52258). It weighed in around 62 kilos (137 lbs). My boat has been stored undercover though and so is dry inside. The foam blocks inside are loose however. Is this normal or should they be attached so as to provide support to the deck?

Blocks were never attached, strictly flotation

I am in the middle of repairing the mast step on my 78 laser and decided to get her on the scale tonight. She came in at 156lbs which seems like a a lot, but I guess some of this is the paint on the deck plus water. When I cut the holes for the mast step repair I was able to squeeze the foam a bit and get some water to bubble up. I have a fan in the hole now, but it wont stop raining here in Michigan, so i don't know how effective that will be.

Regards
Larry

156 is a lot. Paint on the deck should not be more then 5 lbs.

You mention the foam is wet. The airex foam in the deck laminate ?

You'll need to get the boat into a low humid environment to dry it out quickly, otherwise wait for some warm sunny days and it will eventually dry..

If you have the means toss it in a garage with the ports open and a dehumidifier running, it's amazing how much water boats hold even if they are bare.

If you don't have the means wait until late June and bake it in the sun with the ports open. I hear your pain the rain here is driving me nuts, good news is we'll have sun for our first race of the season on the Express tomorrow, not much wind. The rain has sucked for Walleye fishing also, they haven't been biting in the murky water.

The new lasers are weighing in a 130lbs... however this is the minimum weight that a laser is allowed to be. I had an old 70s laser which weighed in at 148lbs and I found out that was due to water getting inside the sheets of fiberglass in the hull from years and years of use. The best way to dry it out is to leave it in a warm room (like a garage in the summer or with a convection heater) for about 2-3 months. It worked on my old one. It took 15lbs off it!

Back