Hats off to the old man of the sea

aroy

Nice going Peter Seidenberg for finishing in 40th at the recent Midwinters (open). Not bad for a Great Grand Master. The guy is amazing, especially considering he must be about 101 years old. I have an old Laser newsletter from more than a quarter century ago, and it shows that Peter finished 2nd at the Masters North Americans way back then!

And he forever changed Laser sailing by giving us the "Seitech Dolly". I remember what it was like when I had to painfully lug my laser from the car to the water. And then have to rig down at the dock after carrying all your gear from the car. It was a total pain! And it was hard on our boats with no dolly.. especially one's autobailer if left open. Now most of us rig on our dollys, launching from our dollys, wheeling over to the car our dollys... My dolly even has a custom front wheel! Peter has changed the sport of laser sailing for the better for all sailors.. Many many thanks. Plus he's very very fast and a great sport.

s_seidenberg.jpg

Here he is (on the left) after winning the Ontario Laser Masters 2004.

Fantastic! Congratulations. It's wonderful to keep being reminded how people have developed things we just take for granted nowdays. Thank you, Peter Seidenberg [thumbs up]

Sometime about 40 years ago, when people were bieng shot for trying, Peter and a friend paddled their way out of East Germany at night in a small kayak.

The best sugestion I have is to go sail in a regatta, find Peter, join him for dinner and let him tell you the story himself.

His sailing may be the least of his life accomplishments.

OK, I have to join in the Peter Seidenberg Appreciation Thread. He is a great competitor and I am honored to count him among my friends. When I see his name on a pre-registration list for a regatta I'm going to, it always makes me smile!

Yeah, and what Fred said!

Back