Harken Vang Question...

micah202

I'm just getting used to the old vang system...
....I'm finding that downwind,,sometimes the centreboard shock-cord sometimes gets caught between the cleat and the main body of the vang--what'zatrick?
......do you have t'lower the centreboard for each gybe now???

Number of ways to deal with it. How depends where you are ending the front end of the shockcord:
At the bow eye -
you can pull the shockcord forward and under the bow lip, such that the it will now be off center.
You can run the shockcord thru one of the eyes on the deck block plate just behind the mast.
You can tie the mast retaining line onto the eye on the deck block plate with a bowline just large enough to pass the shock cord thru on it's way up to the bow eye

The alternative to the bow eye is to use the deck block plate - you can get an idea from this setup..
http://www.apsltd.com/c-7343-laser-upgrade-kits.aspx

I was just going to ask about this one myself. Having the centerboard creep up is annoying. I was wondering about putting something into the senterboard well to make it a tighter/less slippery fit?

You can tie the mast retaining line onto the eye on the deck block plate with a bowline just large enough to pass the shock cord thru on it's way up to the bow eye

Which is what I do and works well (stopping the vang block getting caught round the daggerboard shockcord - I don't suffer too much from centreboard popping-up so cannot comment on that aspect).

Ian

I was just going to ask about this one myself. Having the centerboard creep up is annoying. I was wondering about putting something into the senterboard well to make it a tighter/less slippery fit?

Not legal

All you can do is replace/adjust the daggerboard brake at the aft end

Not legal

All you can do is replace/adjust the daggerboard brake at the aft end

Not strictly true, you are allowed to put something at the top of the leading edge of the slot. I have the loop side of some heavy duty velcro on my boat. As well as reducing the wear it had also helped the board to stay down (that reminds me I really must get around to fitting the new brake I have).

Jeffers - good point, although what we're allowed does little for the fit and/or friction.

Rule 14(d) One layer of any material of maximum 2mm thickness and of a maximum size of 30mm x 30mm may be applied at the top front corner of the centreboard case.

..thanks folks,,,ahh yes ,I remember seeing some guys loop their shockcorsd around the bow...........otherwise,sure the mast-base fitting certainly would work,duhhh!:rolleyes:

Back