Hand made clew tie down

fordewind

Dear friends! Can somebody tell all dimensions of Laser clew tie down. Length, width... I want to make it myself.

Attachments

• Безымянный.JPG
    Безымянный.JPG
    21.3 KB · Views: 65
Hi
Here I have some photos of my actual selfmade clew strap.

I did buy the velcro from a supermarket (1 Euro per Meter). The stainless steel "D"-rings (á 0,50 Euro) come from a marine supplier of Hamurg (http://www.gotthardt-technik.de/data/archive/katalogseiten_2009/Klemmen_Ringe_Oesen.pdf , page 2 of 6 part number 2045-20), but at my very first clew strap I did made the D-Ring self out of an aluminium wire (last photo in attachment: the very left clew strap is my first selfmade, the next left is for low winds only and the both of the right are the actual ones, only the color is different). For to sew the strap complete, I did need total: about 1 hour.

The raster/grid on my photos in attachment is: 5 mm x 5 mm, so you can take all the measures yourself.
Good work

LooserLu

Attachments

• DSCN3233.jpg
    DSCN3233.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 65
  • DSCN3235.jpg
    DSCN3235.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 80
  • DSCN3236.jpg
    DSCN3236.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 69
  • DSCN3237.jpg
    DSCN3237.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 56
  • DSCN3238.jpg
    DSCN3238.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 52
  • DSCN3239.jpg
    DSCN3239.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 61
  • Selfmade LooserLu Clew Straps.jpg
    Selfmade LooserLu Clew Straps.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 70
Hi
Here I have some photos of my actual selfmade clew strap.

I did buy the velcro from a supermarket (1 Euro per Meter). The stainless steel "D"-rings (á 0,50 Euro) come from a marine supplier of Hamurg (http://www.gotthardt-technik.de/data/archive/katalogseiten_2009/Klemmen_Ringe_Oesen.pdf , page 2 of 6 part number 2045-20), but at my very first clew strap I did made the D-Ring self out of an aluminium wire (last photo in attachment: the very left clew strap is my first selfmade, the next left is for low winds only and the both of the right are the actual ones, only the color is different). For to sew the strap complete, I did need total: about 1 hour.

The raster/grid on my photos in attachment is: 5 mm x 5 mm, so you can take all the measures yourself.
Good work

LooserLu
Thank you! I think I can ask you everything I want without posting a topic. :)
p.s: thanks for very helpful information about setting the kicker.

Oh thanks, but to much honor for me ;) There are many other better experts here, that know so much more than me (f.e.: much more about successful sailing/racing of a Laser itself, maintenance, class rules), but if I am able to help, of course I do.

Good sailing

LooserLu

Dear friends! Can somebody tell all dimensions of Laser clew tie down. Length, width... I want to make it myself.

The simplest method is simply made from a length of 5mm or 6mm pre-stretch rope.
You can tie a loop in one end using a bowline or better still bind a loop using nylon string. The lopp should be just bigger than that required to let a figure of eight knot to pass through.

see The Laser Training Manual - http://www.findseedo.com/lasermanual.html

Method B - This method requires 30cm of pre-stretched rope, 6mm in diameter. Bind a
loop in one end, with a diameter of about 20mm. Tie a figure-of-eight knot in the other
end at a position appropriate for achieving the desired tightness of the clew tie-down.

The simplest method is simply made from a length of 5mm or 6mm pre-stretch rope.
You can tie a loop in one end using a bowline or better still bind a loop using nylon string. The lopp should be just bigger than that required to let a figure of eight knot to pass through.

see The Laser Training Manual - http://www.findseedo.com/lasermanual.html

Method B - This method requires 30cm of pre-stretched rope, 6mm in diameter. Bind a
loop in one end, with a diameter of about 20mm. Tie a figure-of-eight knot in the other
end at a position appropriate for achieving the desired tightness of the clew tie-down.
Thanks, Rusty!

Hello , before you make one of these please note that these are less than £10-00 from laser performance on line store in the uk.

Hello , before you make one of these please note that these are less than £10-00 from laser performance on line store in the uk.

I've checked that. You are correct.

But 'fordewind' and me are not living at GB. So, one has to add the costs for "Royal Mail". That aspect of shipping costs (GB's Main Laserstore does not specify really well the exact costs of shipping to European countries) rises up the total costs a lot. Also, way of payment (and the related extra costs) is perhaps expensive, too. Also, perhaps there is no Laser shop "in the neighborhood" at Ukraine (where 'fordewind' lives) to by direct of. Also, is it really proved that 100% of the parcels that come from other countries reach their recipient at Ukraine? Sometimes, it is easier and more quick to buy suitable velcro, a stainless steel "D"-ring (or what ever looks the same), take a needle and sew on our own such a velcro strap ;)

Thanks for the info, David
LooserLu

I've checked that. You are correct.

But 'fordewind' and me are not living at GB. So, one has to add the costs for "Royal Mail". That aspect of shipping costs (GB's Main Laserstore does not specify really well the exact costs of shipping to European countries) rises up the total costs a lot. Also, way of payment (and the related extra costs) is perhaps expensive, too. Also, perhaps there is no Laser shop "in the neighborhood" at Ukraine (where 'fordewind' lives) to by direct of. Also, is it really proved that 100% of the parcels that come from other countries reach their recipient at Ukraine? Sometimes, it is easier and more quick to buy suitable velcro, a stainless steel "D"-ring (or what ever looks the same), take a needle and sew on our own such a velcro strap ;)

Thanks for the info, David
LooserLu

There are other issues that also make people look for another way to fix things, like the O-rings for the laser bailer. I also made my own strap, but not as well done as yours!

There are other issues that also make people look for another way to fix things, like the O-rings for the laser bailer. I also made my own strap, but not as well done as yours!
You mean the springs of the bailer.
BTW:
I've got a pair of them from Intensitiy Sails, when I have done an order at "IS". I saved the Royal Mail costs. Originally they are from here: http://www.lasersmartparts.com/ . If one has the originals, one is able to make replikas with suitable "security pins". I have done that (only for to try how it works with this selfmade springs), but my experience is: the replikas, made out of "securtity pins", are of much less quality and much less trustful than the original springs. So, it is not worth to bent this springs out of security pins. It is wise to order the originals, as they are not to expensive.

Ciao
LooserLu

You mean the springs of the bailer.
BTW:
I've got a pair of them from Intensitiy Sails, when I have done an order at "IS". I saved the Royal Mail costs. Originally they are from here: http://www.lasersmartparts.com/ . If one has the originals, one is able to make replikas with suitable "security pins". I have done that (only for to try how it works with this selfmade springs), but my experience is: the replikas, made out of "securtity pins", are of much less quality and much less trustful than the original springs. So, it is not worth to bent this springs out of security pins. It is wise to order the originals, as they are not to expensive.

Ciao
LooserLu

I made them using unbended clips 6 months ago, and they are still working.

Back