Halyard Histrionics

AQBill

OK brothers and sisters, I've read all the recommendations about where to tie the clove hitch on the gaff and how to adjust for wind. Most rigging guides say to start just below the "10th clip" or the "10th grommet" and then go from there with the gaff getting "taller" and the vang getting "tighter" as the wind builds. My question regards the "tack" grommet at the apex of the luff and foot...is this the first grommet or clip these guides refer to, or is the first one the grommet above the tack grommet on the luff where the first clip or tie would go. Every time I see a picture of a Sunfish, I try to count the rings or ties and usually find a lot of different "answers." I recently purchased my second Sunfish from a diehard racer and he left it rigged...and I found the clove hitch at the 11th grommet with the tack of the sail just off the deck without any vang. Still confused!

My question regards the "tack" grommet at the apex of the luff and foot...is this the first grommet or clip these guides refer to, or is the first one the grommet above the tack grommet on the luff where the first clip or tie would go.
I believe the Tack, Clew, and Head grommets are not part of the count.

Attachments

• Clip in.jpg
    Clip in.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 45
Just play with different settings and find out what works well for you.

PS: you can change the position of the halyard on the water, although I don't recommend this when it's really blowing.

If you do a Google search, you can find a couple .pdf Sunfish rigging booklets. The pictures will give you a starting point. A lot of the answer is playing around to find what works for your style and body weight.

I really don't like using the grommets for a measurement. Their position can a bit vary depending on what kind of sail you have and how tight you have your Cunningham.

I like the way this site presents the location:
http://www.starboardpassage.com/rig_a_sunfish.htm

"Halyard location: 106"-107" measured upwards on the upper spar starting at the point where the black cap meets the upper spar on the bottom. Lowering halyard location raises the height of the boom above the deck. This adds power to the sail. Increasing the distance from the bottom to the halyard location will do the opposite. Make sure the line does not slip. Apply electrical tape on top of it."

This is an exact measurement and requires no guessing.

If all else fails tie it off raise the sail and see how high the boom is off the deck. For racing the gooseneck may be as low as 4-6 inches off the deck. For recreational sailing the halyard may be moved down to raise the boom and make for more comfort getting under the boom.

Back