Gym training

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by InfoNow, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Sean

Sean Member

My idea of a good training program Shatty is switching to lite beer and smoking those low nicotine cigarettes instead of 25mg ones.

Just kidding. I don't condone handing over your health and wealth to giant tobacco companies selling one of the most addictive products on this earth.

2. Kratos

Kratos Member

3. LooserLu

LooserLu LooserLu

As being a native German Westfalian: "Beer" is very healthy, especially if brewed at GER, "no mater how much..." my friends of Bavaria would like to say. "Light" cigarettes are less healthy, than common cigarettes... but nothing for active Laserites (how do you light the fire to a wet cigarette, during the races??) IMHO: Nothing to say against, if you win a race as a Master, GM or GGM and aftwards smoke a "fat lady"-cigar/-cigarillo and drink moderate some dry shaked Martini's at the cocktail-bar, together with your sailing rivals ...

But serious: F.e. My back has been "ruined" by using weight vests uncontrolled at the pratice sailings, during I have been active sailor at our national "Pirat"Sailing Class* and I additional did ruin my knees and foots and by playing at the semipro-active Volleyball league in my region, both 30 years ago...
    Michael is Doctor in "sports science": He definitely is expert in what is "healthy" for a Laserite and what not.

4. Kratos

Kratos Member

There's still room for error, which shows in the tidbit concerning whey protein supplementation. The first sentence particularly so. The way it's worded there, it's actually just plain wrong.

5. LooserLu

LooserLu LooserLu

Shatty, I agree, nobody is perfect. You seem to be an expert in gym's etc.

I have seen at: "www.sportstrainingblog.com", it is possible to comment his documents. Regarding f.e. to the aspect of gym for active Laserites: Why don't you go to contact Michael f.e. in this issue you're talking about above and let us know the result of the disussion with him, here at TLF? Would be nice if you do so, thanks. BTW: Michael is really friendly and very helpful, all I know.

6. Kratos

Kratos Member

Well, I could try that I guess, but it's hard to do such a thing without coming off as overly critical, with no other real purpose.

Wording, I guess, would be the issue.

I'm by no means an expert and have no formal training, either.

I'll give my thoughts on another one of his posts, though.

7. Kratos

Kratos Member

Key Principles of Strength Training

1. Overload : You must gradually work the muscles harder and harder to get stronger. Gradually add to your training – weight, number of repetitions, variety and/or number of sets.

I completely agree with this. Everyone does. This is the way it goes.

2. Overhaul : Every 4 weeks or so you should revamp your program to give the muscles completely new exercises and loads.

I disagree. If you're using compound movements, why the need to change? Why not just stick with constant progression? You can't go wrong there.

3. Specificity : Your strength gains are specific to the movements and speed of movement you do in training. If you need high arm speed and moderate strength to pull up a kite, then your gym training should reflect this movement speed and muscle groups used.

Strength is strength. Kite raising, hiking, whatever.

4. Progression & periodisation : Sequence training such that you start with a period of building muscles, then move towards very sport-specific exercises, loads and movement speeds. As an example, given a period of, say, 6 months to develop your strength, begin with 1 build-up month of 3 x 12-15 reps, followed by 2 months of gradually heavier weights and fewer reps to get you really strong (eg 3-4 sets x 6-10 reps). Then turn towards endurance with a month of 3 x 15-25 followed with a month of circuit-style exercises (40s on, 20s off). Finish with a month of pure strength/endurance work – higher reps of very sailing-specific exercises (see below for examples).

I don't see the need for a "build up month". "Fewer" reps is usually considered 3-5.

8. Kratos

Kratos Member

I am currently writing an e-mail to Mr. Blackburn.

Seriously

9. Kratos

Kratos Member

Done.

10. Kratos

Kratos Member

Holy ****! (Edit: That's blocked?...?)

He answered me already.

Awesome.

Where is everyone haha?

Edit: It was rather anti climactic. Slightly disappoint.

11. LPW

LPW New Member

12. LQT420

LQT420 Member

LPW,

Thanks for this. I didn't know that the C2 - UK site had sailing specific stuff. I use the US C2 site for general fitness / cardio training. Can't wait to try out this stuff on my erg.

13. Kratos

Kratos Member

So wait, is this program saying to train for sailing by rowing.

14. Scott B

Scott B Member

I think it is saying using the rowing machine is one way to train for sailing...

Thanks for the link. We have one of these at the gym at work, and I have been using it for a couple of months. The guide will be a good plan to use to refine my workout.

15. jeffers

jeffers Active Member

Rowing gives one of the best all round CV workouts. The GB Olympic sailing team do a lot of rowing in their training schedules....the results speak for themselves (IMO).

Personally I find going on the rower a bit boring (because all the other CV machines in my local gym have TVs to distract you whilst you workout) but I stick with it because I can feel the benefits.

16. Kratos

Kratos Member

The GB Olympic sailing team also has a lot more money than most, from what I've heard. (If I'm recalling correctly) And even if I'm not, it sure as hell appears that way looking in from the outside.

But, I think Paul Goodison's/Nick Thompson's success is built off much more than their physical fitness...

I also don't really see how they can give "ideal" ranges on things such as body fat percentages.

17. jeffers

jeffers Active Member

It is certainly true the the GB team are well funded (makes a change for UK Sport to be consdered that). Only the top guys though, once you get back down the squad system it relies on self funding a lot of the time.

I agree about Paul and Nick they are very good sailors, there are also a number of good sailors who are just outside the top few who keep them honest.