Gunnel chips

sailor327

i was in a regatta yesterday and during the starting sequence my gunnel just skimmed the back corner of someone i was ducking and the gelcoat chipped off. how can i fix this.

Get some more gel coat of a similar color, apply it, and let it dry. You may be able to take a piece of your boat in (if you can get off a little of the damaged area) to a local dealer, they should have repair kits for your specific color.

Hi,

Best way to fix that is a quick 720 degree turn...... and say you are "sorry"!.

... then some whitish filler. I use WEST epoxt, West whitener, then a dab of color to turn it either brown or gray as needed. Hold a piece of white paper on the hull to determine, as no "white" Laser really is white. Use packing tape to form edges of a mold, and to keep the WEST off other places.

Or just leave the Battle Scar for the next Port tacker to see that you mean business!

Al Russell 182797

sailor327 said:
i was in a regatta yesterday and during the starting sequence my gunnel just skimmed the back corner of someone i was ducking and the gelcoat chipped off. how can i fix this.

:D Of course, you could install rubrail over it. :D

Merrily

I was planning to purchase some bone colored E-Mould from Home Depot. It's actually meant for flooring, but is simply an extruded vinyl moulding in bone. And at 39 cents a foot, beats the hell out of the 450 / foot for the real rub rail.

But...does anyone know how to color the off white on the older laser decks?

Merrily said:
:D Of course, you could install rubrail over it. :D

Merrily

dclarke said:
I was planning to purchase some bone colored E-Mould from Home Depot. It's actually meant for flooring, but is simply an extruded vinyl moulding in bone. And at 39 cents a foot, beats the hell out of the 450 / foot for the real rub rail.

But...does anyone know how to color the off white on the older laser decks?

It may actually be the dove gray color that APS sells. That's what my newer Laser is. You know I was kidding about the rubrail, right? Remember, it's not class legal. That said, I still like mine, but now I've got a problem with it. It's coming off at the bow! So much for "permanent" 3M 5200. Anybody know of a better glue?

Merrily

I didn't know you were kidding...but if I was interested in class legal I'd buy a new one. This one's for buggering around at the cottage. But I still want it to look nice.

Merrily said:
It may actually be the dove gray color that APS sells. That's what my newer Laser is. You know I was kidding about the rubrail, right? Remember, it's not class legal. That said, I still like mine, but now I've got a problem with it. It's coming off at the bow! So much for "permanent" 3M 5200. Anybody know of a better glue?

Merrily

Back