Group distance sail

I was on vacation this fall and took my laser on top of the old car and went to Block Island Rhode Island this past september.

It was great, sailing was ausome, the family had an awesome time (Before:I don;t want to go to that beach, After: can we come here tomarrow...next year).

Anyway, one day I was sailing outside the great salt pond in the open ocean and loving it. I thought wouldn't it be great to organize a group distance sail with a spotter safety boat and a group who sailed to a destination together, instead of everyone trying to do a horizon job on each other.

Anyway, I have sailed in Niantic Bay in CT, and sailed a good distance in my laser there, but was always cautious to make sure I could get back home in time for supper.

Anybody done something like this, an around Block Island trip would be really fun, probably would be expensive as you need a place to stay and you can't guaruntee the weather would be good for an attempt on any given day.

Anyway, it's winter in the northeast, I'm dream'en and pretty soon the only frost bitting my local lakes will allow will be in my toes from ice fishin.

Eric

Here are a couple of Block Photos

Attachments

• laser-forum1.JPG
    laser-forum1.JPG
    20.6 KB · Views: 43
  • laser forum 2.JPG
    laser forum 2.JPG
    382.1 KB · Views: 78
  • laser forum 3.jpg
    laser forum 3.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 53
  • laser forum 4.jpg
    laser forum 4.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 54
Great idea Eric. There are lots of opportunities in that area. "Round the island" courses such as round Shelter Island or Jamestown Island. Or some crossing like across Long Island Sound or Buzzards Bay (and back). Or maybe just a long downwind sail along the coast. Keep us informed. I'm definitely interested (when the ice melts).

Going round Shelter Island is pretty fun during the summer as there is usually a decent sea breeze that fills in between the forks. Southold YC holds the annual Worlds Longest Sunfish race sometime in Aug, might be interesting to see if they want to invite Lasers to participate.

Sailing from New Haven to Mattituck or vice versa would be interesting - that's the widest part of LI Sound - I've toyed with the idea, but finding the right wind conditions is a challenge during the summer. Milford/Stratford/Bridgeport to Pt Jeff is a shorter sail, and more doable during the summer winds. There are public beaches/parks in the area to launch from and a huge beach on the Pt Jeff side.

I can come up with at least one powerboat for support for the LIS stuff.

The right place would have decent winds, and a good place to put the boat in and take out.

Timing to run with the currents would be essential, but real doable.

I know of places to put in or out Niantic, groton, mytic and stonington.

It makes sense to go from east to west in that part of the sound, you could have the option to go inside or outside of fishers island, depending on weather.

You could put in at mystic seaport (interesting harbor, may need the spotter boat to tow out of the upper river due to lack of winds) and work out to the eastern tip of Fishers Island (open ocean leg), and then back into Stonington, use public parking and ramps, ne fees etc. It wouldn't make sense to do alone, but it would be doable with a group.

Anybody else got ideas for somewhere else (I'm currently in the adirondacks, so Lake George is a possibility even, but open water sailing is the best).

A Laser 'Cruise' almost? That actually sounds fun and relaxing during a lazy summer day.

Lake George would be a good venue, I think that visiting a couple of the islands, even stopping for a lunch via the powerboat, would be pretty fun.

Just sounds kind of nice, let us know if you put it on Eric.

A group of three lasers sailed 40 miles downwind during a Nor'easter in March of this year. The winds were 20-30 mph during the first 20 miles or so then died down to 15 mph. It took us about 5 hours and we did have one person drive down the coast and watch us. She was there just in case we broke down and had to beach the boat. This was in a protected water, the Indian River Lagoon and we sailed from Kennedy Point Park in Titusville, FL to Melbourne Yacht Club in Melbourne, FL. It was a blast and was really good practice.

Cindy

sailor327 said:
dang thats pretty far, is their a youth sailing program up there

Not like what you have at the Martin County US Sailing Center. We have a wonderful sailing area but not a lot of sailors. There is a person at Titusville Sailing Center working with the ROTC program at Titusville High School. I don't know too much about it though.

Cindy

I too have thought of attempting a long distance Laser sail. One course I've thought of doing is a trip from Cape Cod across Nantucket Sound to Nantucket Island. A group of like-minded sailors and a crash boat to join me would be trerrific.

Sounds awesome! Alas and alack, being an inland lake sailor (at the moment), opportunities such as you're describing are fairly limited (to say the least! lol)

But still... you're stories inspire me. Thanx! :) I used to sail 16-foot skiffs in Sydney Harbour (NSW Australia), and sometimes we'd 'go outside', but very very rarely. Taking a Laser outside at the moment for me (I'm still a noob to 'em!) is rather a danting prospect! heh heh

But - go for it! Glad you're thinking safety first too. Yay! Thanx heaps for the great piccies as well. Muchly appreciated. :)

Back