Getting under the boom

DaveTaylor

I wonder if anybody can offer some advice.

Going up wind, in decent wind, with any sort of kicker on (not roll tacking) I'm finding it hard getting under the boom smoothly. I'm regularly catching my bouyancy aid on the boom, often resulting in a capsize.

I have got quite a lot of clothing on with drysuit and bouyancy aid, but any an advice on good technique for a clean tack would be wwlcome.

Do you still have a metal eyestrap for the mainsheet on the middle of the boom? These are notorious for getting caught on lifejackets, particularly with bigger guys.

Scroll down to the "Eyestrap Kits for Laser Boom" in the link below. These are a couple of alternatives to the metal eyestrap which don't get caught as easily. Many people have also fashioned their own out of duct tape.

http://www.apsltd.com/c-2224-laser-sparsandfittings.aspx

FWIW, the soft webbing loop is the best, class legal, device.

In addition to changing to that, it helps to make sure your life vest is not the top layer, if it is, get your self a tight fitting tshirt to go over it (you can cut off the sleeves if you want) made from lycra or spandex - this helps the boom slider over with very little of your back to catch on it.

Make sure your PFD is as thin as possible where it counts up high (while still conforming to your country's laws) Various makes and model concentrate the floation up high on chest and back, while others move it to the sides and lower back.

Back flexibility plays a role as well, if you are tight thru the low back, increasing that range of motion can help - work on "kissing the deck" in a tack

Lastly, it is a size issue, if you are thick thru the torso area, you may have to ease the kicker prior to the tack and put it back on after. I find myself having to do this once I reach the point where I have no slack in the vang when two blocked on the mainsheet. Make sure you ease mainsheet in the tack as well, so the boom can rise once the kicker is eased

FWIW, the soft webbing loop is the best, class legal, device.

In addition to changing to that, it helps to make sure your life vest is not the top layer, if it is, get your self a tight fitting tshirt to go over it (you can cut off the sleeves if you want) made from lycra or spandex - this helps the boom slider over with very little of your back to catch on it.

Make sure your PFD is as thin as possible where it counts up high (while still conforming to your country's laws) Various makes and model concentrate the floation up high on chest and back, while others move it to the sides and lower back.

Back flexibility plays a role as well, if you are tight thru the low back, increasing that range of motion can help - work on "kissing the deck" in a tack

Lastly, it is a size issue, if you are thick thru the torso area, you may have to ease the kicker prior to the tack and put it back on after. I find myself having to do this once I reach the point where I have no slack in the vang when two blocked on the mainsheet. Make sure you ease mainsheet in the tack as well, so the boom can rise once the kicker is eased

Great advice here. I'm "larger" and I do all of the above. Replaced the metal main sheet guide, wear lycra over my life jacket and EXHALE while crunching up my body to get under the boom on windy days.

I think turning your whole body forwards a bit during the tack makes it easier to get under the boom when its really windy or any time there is a lot of vang on.

Think of it like trying to go under caution tape or a low hanging tree branch. You would probably not just bend straight over and go through; you would probably go one leg then the other while swooping down to not get caught on the tape/tree.

Also it makes the hand switch easier

Hope that helps

Might be a small aspect to the problem but I have found familiarity with your gear helps (i.e. how low you have to go to get under OK). Earlier this summer I forgot to pack my lifejacket and had to borrow one from the "lost and found" bin. Different style to my own and not such a good fit and I got caught by the boom a few times (and I have the strap not the hard eye !!).

Ian

Back