Getting stuck under the boom

I find that when its windy, I crank the vang down and get the rig well flattened off and the boats really starts to motor to windward, then I tack and get stuck under the boom ( a capsize then follows). My only remedy for this is to let off the vang, this isn't as fast but at least I stay upright. Is it me?
Should I try to persevere trying to tack with a vang full on? Or am I just getting old and decrepit and should take up a more leisurely pastime?

PS This is with a radial rig (if that makes any difference?)

I find that when its windy, I crank the vang down and get the rig well flattened off and the boats really starts to motor to windward, then I tack and get stuck under the boom ( a capsize then follows). My only remedy for this is to let off the vang, this isn't as fast but at least I stay upright. Is it me?
Should I try to persevere trying to tack with a vang full on? Or am I just getting old and decrepit and should take up a more leisurely pastime?

I have a new life jacket that gets caught on the boom with the vang cranked on. My old one must have had a lower profile on the back, so I'm back to using the grungey one. Also, are you flexible? If not, maybe you should try some warm up stretching before going out so you can get as low as needed.

perhaps a bit of a roll tack might help to ... i am 120kg and i manage to get under teh boom with the vang cranked ok ... but only if i do a good roll tack :D

I think really good sailors will say they ease the vang before tacking, primarily to make the sail fuller for re accelerating. They can also reach in for the vang, then pump out hard as they trim it.

But, I'm a GM and sail a shifty lake, so I'm trying to get used to going under the low boom.

PFD cut does matter, plus a few other things. You definately need the long boom sleeve, so check if you have an older boat. Also, the metal or newer stiff plastic main sheet guide has to go! replace it with a soft nylon webbing riveted on, or just run a loose piece of line thru the rivet holes.

See 18 (b) for more info on replacing the metal strap.

http://www.laserinternational.org/rules/rules07.pdf

Al

As the boat goes head to wind I tend to slide my bottom down the deck toward the stern which means I can get right down into the cockpit as the boom comes across. According to the guy who told me to do this (he was the UK standard champion at the time) this also makes the boat pivot through the turn quicker.

There's definitely a technique aspect of this. Getting "stuck" happens to me quite a bit.

There's very little space between the deck and the boom, but obviously more space between the cockpit floor and the boom.

My theory is that "stuck" happens when the boom starts crossing my back before my buttocks have cleared the deck on the old windward (new leeward) side. So body rotation as part of moving, so that the torso is more fore-aft as the boom crosses it, and the buttocks are in the cockpit, would make sense to avoid getting stuck.

Thanks for all the good ideas.
I have already ditched my new pfd for my 15 year old one that has no buoyancy but has a lower profile on the shoulders,( and I still get stuck)

I think that leaning back is interesting, as it also getting more roll on, or maybe even just a bit more agression to punch through from under the boom- I suppose what I really need to do is get out 30 minutes early the next time it's windy and do some tacks to sort it out ( but it is so boring practising isn't it?)

It is good to hear that others have had a similar problem, I wondered of it was just me.

Thanks for all the good ideas.
I have already ditched my new pfd for my 15 year old one that has no buoyancy but has a lower profile on the shoulders,( and I still get stuck)

I think that leaning back is interesting, as it also getting more roll on, or maybe even just a bit more agression to punch through from under the boom- I suppose what I really need to do is get out 30 minutes early the next time it's windy and do some tacks to sort it out ( but it is so boring practising isn't it?)

It is good to hear that others have had a similar problem, I wondered of it was just me.

if you are having a problem .. chances are most of us have had it or do have it ...

Back