Getting started

per_nulla

Hello all,

This is my first ever post on a sailing forum and I'm very new to being in control of a sailboat.
I'm in Northern California and just sailed for the first time (Whiskeytown Lake) by myself and it was on a sunfish. I was out for about an hour and I seemed to have the general idea of how they work and to make it go where I want. Now I just need time in the saddle. If it works out I'd like to sail during the winter. From what I've read so far I should be wearing a 5/4 wetsuit with the foot, head and hand accompaniments. I'm hoping to get out 2 to 3 times a week an hour or so each time.

What I need to know is can I get away with a $150 or so wetsuit O'Neill Epic 5/4 suit or do I need a suit specific to sailing with reinforcements on the seat and knees? I'm aware of the back and forth between dry suits and wetsuits but since I'm just starting out I want to keep the cost down and wetsuits seem to be the way to go at this time.

Thanks

Wet Suits are just what the name implies. You may want to look at dry tops and dry pants . They are also what the name implies and alot more comfortable. You can find them on the web under kayak makers like NRS and Kokotat as well as Paddling.Net. I would stay away from a full dry suit. They are expensive and not made for the constant movements a sailor makes.With a seperate top and bottom you can have a better weather choice.Dry tops and pants will keep you dry on the boat and alot dryer than a wet suit if you dump

You have to dress for the conditions you sail in, there is no one solution.

For me today was a 3mm long sleeve, short pant wet suit. Air temp mid 70's, not sure water temp, cool, winds avg. 8-15, few interesting puffs, so I don't expect to go swimming unless I stupid.
I was very comfortable, out for about 4 hours.
If it was cooler, I would have done long pant wet suit, with a spray top.
My wet suit is 2 parts, so I can wear either or both parts as needed.

Make sure it fits right, to loose and it doesn't insulate properly, too tight is just uncomfortable.

When temps start to hit 50's it's time for a dry suit, add insulation as needed as it gets colder.
Same as with the wet suit, make sure it fits right, to loose is baggy and hard to move around in, too tight, is tight, and hard to move around in.

I'd take some links for some good ideas on a wet suit. Sailing in 65 degree temps with water temps around the same.

The 2 piece Oneil I use is perfect for that.
3mm farmer johns and a 3mm long sleeve shorty that goes over it, so you get 6mm over the core and 3mm on the limbs. Add some water shoes and your good.
I can't find a link, I will get a picture of what I have, see if I can find a model

Hi Per Nulla,

I live south of you in Santa Rosa so I'm familiar with your climate and what you can expect when sailing this winter. I'd recommend for you what I did for my friend who I've taught to sail (no previous sailing experience) and who learned in a Sunfish and now sails a Laser.

You want the option of not only being able to capsize and stay comfortable while fully immersed in the water but also to be able to continue to sail afterwards. So your choice of a wet suit is the correct one. Having windsurfed on the California coast (bays and in the ocean) for more than 30 years, I directed my friend to buy a 3/2 mill full wetsuit.

The way you stay warm in a 3/2 mill during the winter months is to then wear layers of insulation over your wetsuit in the form of wind breaker type tops all the way up to a thick insulated coat with a hat. A 5/4 wetsuit will indeed keep you warm during the winter at your lake but will quickly become unusable as the season gets warmer because you will bake in it.

The thing to remember is the wetsuit is only to keep you comfortable in the event you go in the water from a capsize but this will happen less and less as you gain experience. So it will become just a back up and as such, you can get away with a thinner mill 3/2 wetsuit with layers over it.

My friend Greg has remarked repeatedly at how warm he is able to stay in his 3/2 mill with layers yet how comfortable he stays even when it's sunny and warm. There is nothing special you need for a wetsuit like this. You should be able to find a basic one piece 3/2 mill wetsuit as a close out special or discount for $100 or less. In addition, a 3/2 mill is going to be much softer than a 5/4 and allow for much greater range of motion.

I'd give an inexpensive 3/2 a try with layers this winter and if it's too cold for you, you can always move up to a 4/3.

Cheers,

- Andy

when you say 3/2...are you talking 3mm to 2mm thickness? What does the fraction apply to? Or is that the overall coverage of the suit? Obviously knowing nothing about this subject..

when you say 3/2...are you talking 3mm to 2mm thickness?
Hi Mixmkr,

The 3/2 mill refers to 3 mill neoprene over the core of your body, that is your torso area, with 2 mill neoprene over your arms and legs. The same applies to 4/3 mill, 5/4 mill and so on.

By the way, I've spent quite a bit of time windsurfing in very cold ocean waters out here in Northern California, where we were even experiencing upwellings... which made the water colder still... in addition to it being winter time and with cloudy skies. Ie, no sun.

And I was still able to stay quite warm with only a 4/3 mill full length wet suit, which I actually referred to as my "winter suit". Even with the wet suit continually wet from the crashing and burning from doing jumps, racing your buds a top speed, etc.

The key, however, is having some sort of physical motion going on with your body. Because when we would pull out on the beach and take a break while reflecting on our previous windsurfing session, we'd eventually get cold from just standing around. In spite of the fact that we were mostly sheltered from the wind during our breaks. Yet we'd quickly warm back up once we were out on the water and active again.

Cheers,

- Andy

thx Andy. I think I'll just have to order one and see. I live in the boonies, so no place to actually see one first. I'm guessing order a size larger in most cases too....as that has always been the norm it seems with stuff like life jackets, etc

I think I'll just have to order one and see. I'm guessing order a size larger in most cases.
That sounds like a good plan. I have found that a call to the outfit you are buying the westsuit from helps as having a real person on the phone can really help with getting the right size.

I will also often order 2 wetsuits this way, with one of them a size larger than suggested. They both arrive, I try them both on and then pick the one which fits best. This is frequently the one that is one size larger than they suggested. Then I just ship the one I don't want back.

Also, because you aren't going to be using the wetsuit for what it is really designed for, that is, being in the water a lot, you don't need one that has a normal, snug fit. So you can benefit from having one that's just a bit too big for you. Allows for more ease of movement. And after all, neoprene tends to shrink over time anyway.

- Andy

Hey fellow Sailors,

My club told me to start drop the Sunfish and start taking out the Laser. They said for my size (1.88m) the Laser will fit me better. I will finish this post here then
I'm going to head on over to the Laser area.

Lots of good info you provided that I need to think about. Last Tuesday the temps were cool enough (24c) I decided to wear my Dicks special DBX shortie to start getting the feel for the wetsuit while sailing. It kept me warm and diminished the "shock" factor when getting splashed. I found I should also have some sort of knee protection. 15mph winds with 20 mph gusts kept me moving quite a bit the entire hour on the lake. Both knees were pretty raw. With the information you people have provided my very limited experience to date I think I've got a very good idea on how to proceed.

Here's what I've gathered so far:
Dark polarized sunglasses
Brimmed hat
50spf titanium dioxide sunblock for the face with a no vanity clump on the nose and ears
neck gaiter; weather appropriate
Wet suit: with knee and seat protection also weather appropriate; I can move quickly and suddenly with little restriction.
long sleeve and long pant; during the warmer sails when i wear a shortie. I'm very sensitive to the sun (and I want to sail, go figure)
neoprene boots; similar to the Gill skiff boot. I like the height to minimize the amount of rock and sand between my toes from a beach launch.

Anyway, thanks for the input it's been a great to help get me started. See ya on the Laser side.

Back