Gel coat

coriordan

Hi i recently filled in the many deep scrathes and chips with regular plastic padding gelcoat filler which can be bought in almost any baot shop. Sadly there are now many mismatching colour spots all over my boat. Would it be possible to get a gelcoat that matches my boat and cover over these spots? My boat is numbered 16**** and is the regular gey colour of a standard laser. Does anyone know what type of gelcoat or dye is the best suited to this boat? Any help will be much appreciated.

You should think about redoing the whole gel coat, even if you get the color matched perfectly it still might come out funky if you only apply it to a few spots

You should think about redoing the whole gel coat, even if you get the color matched perfectly it still might come out funky if you only apply it to a few spots

I did some cosmetic repair on the gel coat and of course different colour...so what??? you will be never able to macth the colour also because the sunlight fade

redoing the entire gelcoat is fine... if you don't have a job. Have plenty of money. And have a unhealthy attraction to wet sanding an fairing the hull again. What I do on my 2001 with the dark gray hull strip is mix in black gelcoat. REMEMBER gelcoat tends to lighten as it dries. Always mix just a shade darker than the color of your hull. Since you have a light gray, you can use standard paint dyes too. The only plus to using the black gelcoat is that it doesnt throw off your mix ratios. I definately think this is the preferable option to redoing the entire hull.

redoing the entire gelcoat is fine... if you don't have a job. Have plenty of money. And have a unhealthy attraction to wet sanding an fairing the hull again. What I do on my 2001 with the dark gray hull strip is mix in black gelcoat. REMEMBER gelcoat tends to lighten as it dries. Always mix just a shade darker than the color of your hull. Since you have a light gray, you can use standard paint dyes too. The only plus to using the black gelcoat is that it doesnt throw off your mix ratios. I definately think this is the preferable option to redoing the entire hull.

AFAIK there always be a slight difference..but why bother because of this???

try starting with some white gelcoat and a little teenie bit of black gelcoat and see if you can make a similar grey.

as for re=gelcoating...I doubt that is the easiest way to lovely.

I would dig out those soft fills and dribble gelcoat in the scratches

I'm with Fred on this one. Maybe it's worth digging out to try to match colors, but It's quite hard.

The "gray" differ from year to year, AND by country to country of production. And using black to make gray is hard, as so little is needed. Sometimes even opening the black tube nearby is too much! You can try ordering the "right" gray from your national supplier, the old Vanguard if you are US made. That might help.

It might be better/faster to just hit the hiking bench...

Al

Today I had to match a very new grey deck...as in get it right because teh guy who borowed his friends nearly new boat ahd screwed it up.

Anyway... My catalyst color shifted my gelcoat a tad to green / yellow

I had to make a grey that was a tad redder / bluer than the boat and hope the shift would match it for me.

It would have been nice to finish the boat at 2 this afternoon.

Instead it took until almost 5 pm.

Then the owner stopped by and told me he is color blind...

It's a good thing this sort of stuff continues to amuse me.

A friend of mine is colour blind, you can spot him a mile away with his clash of clothes colours, but what he did once say was he is very good at spotting shade differences.

A friend of mine is colour blind, you can spot him a mile away with his clash of clothes colours, but what he did once say was he is very good at spotting shade differences.

On summer days finding shade around here can be the difference between suffering and mooching beer from the other guys who are standing under the tree.

Back