Gear-in up for repairs which grinder do U like

springbrook

Today I took a ride to a marina about an hour from the house.

I now have polyester resin some mat glass and some cloth glass.

Now I need a grinder and a resperator.

Whats your favorite grinder and resporator?????

Next friday is payday so I need to know by then.

Thanks for the help.

Any brand name grinder will work well (Hitachi, Makita), Get a respirator with the two side mounted filters, tell the salesperson that you will be using fiberglass and you need to not only filter out fiberglass dust but the fumes from the resin. Ideally your glassing will be done outdoors (still use the respirator). Get eye protection and heavy rubber gloves, the gloves will protect your hands from that nasty but awesome acetone. If you are new to fiberglassing you may be unaware of how itchy that stuff can make you, when your sanding it. Cover yourself fully with one of those white throwaway suits (C.S.I. style), wear one of those cheap painters balaclavas to keep your head protected. If you do get glass dust on you and the prickling begins....take a long hot shower, this will open your pores and allow the glass particles to escape.

Thanks Zeppo

All great information.

I just found a older book

The Fiberglass Boat Repair Manual
by Allan H. Vaitses

I have some reading to do

Thanks Again

I have two grinders. One a 4.5" and the other a 5". I removed the grinding disk and guard and installed sanding disks. I use two 32 grit disks on one, and the other has a special beveled sanding disk that won't cut as fast but is useful when I want to take less material off.

Be very careful to wear heavy gloves, that protect your forearms halfway to your elbows.

Never put your face in line with the rotating disk. These can fly apart and cause damage.

A grinder can be used to make a totem pole out of an oak tree in a few hours.

I can cut through your skin, muscle and bone too. An accidental cut can easily cut you to the bone.

Loose fitting clothing can catch on the spinning disk and pull you into it.

I wear long sleeve T-shirts, heavy jeans, socks and thick shoes when I'm working with a grinder.

I agree with the other comments posted.

I use a grinder for work a lot(ceramic tile). I agree any grinder will do for a repair here and there. Glasses and a mask are a must. You do not want to be huffing any kind of dust your kicking up with an angle grinder.

Rather than brand-name grinders, I have a few "disposable" ones from Harbor Freight. I was lucky enough to live near a store. They often are on sale for less than $20 for the 4" models, and they work great. I've only burned up one after fixing a particularly ugly weld on 3/8 thick stainless steel.
They have an assortment of disks and sanders too, but their consumables wear out just as fast which is more annoying than the higher cost of 'real' tools. I buy the more expensive wheels from the welding supply houses.

I've never done any fiberglass work, so I can't help there. Sounds like everyone else knows what they're talking about.

Back