Frostbiting

LmAaNn23

I just bought my first laser and of course I am really excited to start sailing it! Could people offer me their general opinions as to when I should wear a wetsuit, a drysuit, stop sailing, etc. Thanks!

That depends on where you're sailing, and if you plan on sailing all through the winter. Where are you located?

I live in Salisbury,MD but I go to school at the University of Maryland College Park and sail out of Severn Sailing Association in Annapolis. I dont have to sail all winter I would just love to get out on the water.

I don't really know how cold it gets down there during the winter but I know on Long Island Sound people use drysuits, and back home around Boston they certainly use drysuits.
Seeing as you're not significantly south I'd guess that you're probably in drysuit conditions as well.

Greetings;

Living and sailing in NW Florida, along the northern Gulf Coast, we sail in shorts until about October. From then until mid in April you'll see a combination of 'sailing suits' (insulated water proof bib overalls with waffle weave liner, Gill makes a good one) and wet suits.

Our water temps rarely drop below 65 F, :) thus having the advantage over you folks with the colder water in the northern latitudes. We sail all year round, and are in fact hosting the D-13 championships in early December 2008, within our protected bay in Fort Walton Beach.

I suggest asking around your sailing club, surf shops, etc for the appropriate thickness of a wet suit that best suits your climate.

Happy sailing, Boatman

I live in Salisbury,MD but I go to school at the University of Maryland College Park and sail out of Severn Sailing Association in Annapolis. I dont have to sail all winter I would just love to get out on the water.

SSA frostbiters wear dry suits or wetsuits. In fact, it's required if you participate in the Sunday frostbite series, due to start Nov 18.

We are having an Austin frostbite sail today. The water has cooled down to under 80 degrees and the air temperature probably will not get up to 90 today either. The wind is only blowing 15 or so with occasional big gusts whose speed I can't really estimate well. Sun is out so we will need lots of sunscreen.

Let's see..... Shall I go with shorts and a T shirt or T shirt and shorts??

OH yeah...This is exactly the sort of weather we have had for about 75% of the scheduled Easter Laser Regatta races.
This spring we will be hosting the 25th Easter laser Regata. Schedule your time off work NOW!!!...and spend a few days of vacation sailing your Laser on warm sunny breezy days before and / or after the regatta.

wet suits will be good for you up until about January.... then it's time for the Drysuit. It also depends on the wind where you are sailing... I sail in Newport and we tend to have good winds all winter long. For me, who firmly believes he can hike out any puff, ends up swimming several times.

The nice advantage of "just getting out there" is if you get cold you can go home. I would recommend Magic Marine wetsuits... they have reinforced seats and legs so they dont get "eaten up" as quickly as my last O'Neil wetsuit did. I have a 6/4 and that takes me pretty far into the winter. If you're not going to be racing heavily this winter, I would recommend a wetsuit and a base layer. If you dump and get cold, just go home. Drysuits are nice, but expensive. I always tend to err on the side of cost-effectiveness!!!!!:D:D:D

Back