Flotation material

Looks like we're here! ;)

My first "soggy" Sunfish was only water-soaked in the rear. (So you might not have a big project).

Sailing was sluggish--and wet.

Dry-out is the answer, otherwise, so cut a six-inch hole in the deck forward of the daggerboard trunk, and direct a fan to evaporate the water from the soaked yellow foam.

A four-inch tube and a four-inch fan work best. A second port will make the evaporation go faster, but still allow weeks to dry fully. (The large white foam blocks are less of a problem, and should stay).

The hole should be sealed with a plastic "inspection port"--about $12. Check out the "Ultimate Inspection Port" for an alternative.

How to fix a soggy flotation device in a 1987 Sunfish. Can you sail the Sunfish in this condition?
Is it safe to sail? that depends.

How heavy is it? If it is more than 180 lbs I would worry that the extra weight would cause damage while trailering it or sailing it in strong waves. (125-139 is a normal weight for a dry fish)

Is it “wet” due to a major leak in the hull? Then, again I wouldn’t want to sail it until that was fixed.

Back