Fleet 413- How do we feel about Intensity yellow?

I need a new rudder and centerboard and was thinking hard about Intensity's yellow ones. I am just wondering how fleet 413 feels about me sailing with these.

If it were a different fleet I might not be so apprehensive but I have a lot of respect for the guys who sail there and I plan to be a newbie there very soon. I'm still learning the rules of the road and don't want to make a bad impression right off the bat.

Any thoughts?

I need a new rudder and centerboard and was thinking hard about Intensity's yellow ones. I am just wondering how fleet 413 feels about me sailing with these.

If it were a different fleet I might not be so apprehensive but I have a lot of respect for the guys who sail there and I plan to be a newbie there very soon. I'm still learning the rules of the road and don't want to make a bad impression right off the bat.

Any thoughts?

Personally, I would buy class legal. The price on the intensity versions make them tempting, but as soon as you want to race in something as small as a district event you would then have to buy legal, and end up spending more.

Intensiity: $275
Class legal: $550

If you buy intensity and then decide you love it so much you want to go see what your district event is all about, $825.

Good point. Although it may be a while until I want to do any serious competing. Ideally I would like to sail every sunday with the Intensity blades and then use my class ones for racing events.

So it is my plan to eventually buy both sets.

There really isn't a point to buying a set of practice blades. Unless you run aground a lot or have some easy way of damaging the blades there is no point to buying non class legal blades.

I think you guys might be changing my mind as I type, I just can't get over the price of legal gear (sails, blades, etc.) vs. Intensity's. Its the difference between me being able to sail right now or saving for another month or two.

I just bought a new hull and I'm dying to get it in the water, I just need a few more things to make it complete and I'm trying to get along as cheap as possible.

It doesn't seem like used stuff in good condition is that easy to come by. I've searched SA, TLF, lasertrader, ebay, craigslist....etc.

If any one has any leads, this is what I really need to get on the water.
-good condition rudder and centerboard
-good condition harken vang
-acme tiller

I think you guys might be changing my mind as I type, I just can't get over the price of legal gear (sails, blades, etc.) vs. Intensity's. Its the difference between me being able to sail right now or saving for another month or two.

I just bought a new hull and I'm dying to get it in the water, I just need a few more things to make it complete and I'm trying to get along as cheap as possible.

It doesn't seem like used stuff in good condition is that easy to come by. I've searched SA, TLF, lasertrader, ebay, craigslist....etc.

-acme tiller

You may not see many sell acme stuff on the side because they last a long time. Vang i doubt people sell seperately.

Sails you can buy used and they are good for starter racing.

my personal thoughts are more people on the water the better. I have two sets of blades; one for race and one for play. If I had to buy a new set of play blades I'd be hard pressed not to get Intensity blades.

There's something to be said for a fleet where you get 30+ boats on the water all winter long. Best sailing I get all year long. I've been sailing with intensity sails for 2 yrs now and no one has complained. Perhaps if i was top 10 someone might say something, but no one complains as i valiantly defend the midde of the pack. I imagine the same would hold true with the blades.

-acme tiller

I can totally sympathize with both schools of thought, especially if you have to have the gear in order to sail. A boat on the water is better than a boat in the garage.

As others have said, to go outside class rules for boards is just daft. Boards last some time and not only could it limit whit you can do with boat but it will probably have a big impact on the resale value of the boat. Whatever your ambitions, when you sell, potential purchasers might be at a stricter club, might want to do the occasional regatta, etc. and your boat could not even be considered for purchase - so limiting the number of potential buyers as well as the value.

Given you are considering both routes then you must be able to afford class legal gear (otherwise e.g. "Should I buy a Lotus or a Ferrari (but I only have £300 to spend) ?" - its a non-question).

Ian

Back