Fixed Keel Launching/Retrieving

prig0026

Hi, New to the forum and new to sailing. Looking to purchase my first boat before next spring and have been doing quite a bit of research. I took an ASA 101 class this summer and I really want to get on the water. I think I've settled on a Capri 14.2, and I'm leaning heavily towards the fixed keel version. I've searched the forum and it doesn't seem as though too many people have them or are interested in them. My reasons for wanting it is that I'm really not interested in speed/racing, I want something stable so that I can take a variety of people with me and not have to be overly worried about capsizing. My main concern is how easy it would be to launch and retrieve form the trailer. I believe the draft is 2'. Anyone have experience with this? I have a full size truck for a tow vehicle (if that matters at all). Thanks for the help, looking forward to hanging out on the forum.

You have to be able to sink the trailer deep enough to "float the boat on or off. You will need an extend-able trailer tongue or a long, strong line that you tie between the trailer and the tow vehicle. Both work and have been done for decades to launch and retrieve keel boats off ramps. Always make sure the ramp is long enough under water to support the trailer. Good luck.

Keel launching.

A keel boat will provide you with way more stability while sailing than a centerboard boat. You might even be able to put a small bimini on it.

There is a Catalin 18 forum in Yahoo groups that may be able to help you as they regularly trailer and sail Cat 18 which has a fixed keel.

The boat/trailer weighs very little. An extendable tongue makes it REALLY easy... a steep ramp might work too.

You can probably create an extendable tongue, using a 2x6 and 2 long shaft trailer hitch balls.

6 feet is probably fine.

The keel boat is probably a great way to start... If I had a nickle for every time I wished I had the keel model...

Happy boat hunting.

The keel boat is probably a great way to start... If I had a nickle for every time I wished I had the keel model...

Happy boat hunting.

That is exactly what I thought, and it kind of surprises me that it is not more popular. The only downside I could think of was the trailering/launching issue, and hence why I'm looking for opinions. I'll have to look into the extendable tongue..I'm not even sure what one is.

Keel sailboats are more stable and heavy compared to non-keel sailboats. With the C14.2 vs C14.2K, the boats are quit different. Rental boats use the keel version for the reasons you want. As for myself, I'd rather have the more nimble center board model to race and day sail.

The downsides to the K are running a ground, harder to launch and retrieve, heavy, slower and less dinghy like, Sitting higher on the trailer it is tougher to rig and de rig.

I've yet to capsize a C14.2 while racing or day sailing but have capsized in Lasers and Lightnings. Keels aren't perfect as I have been in knockdowns in Schock 35s and even a Farr 40. J24s have sunk to the bottom in capsizes. Just so you understand , its still sailing and stuff happens.

On extend-able trailer tongues, internet search that phrase and you will see different solutions.

Back