Fitting automatic bailer

Chris2

Hi everyone. My wife sue and I have obtained a 1969 Sunfish which was dug out of the jungle here in Southern Belize after Hurricane Iris 5 years ago. We have just about finished repairs to the hull, and have hit a problem. Our Sunfish has a metal threaded tube through the hull which we understand is part of the original bailer. The replacement (plastic) bailer has a larger diameter than the heavily corroded metal tube so does not fit. We were advised to drill out the tube which I have now done. However, on looking at the replacement bailer, it seems to me that the plastic threaded tube which fits from the inside of the sunfish, does not screw down far enough to hold the bailer body tight against the underside of the hull. Am I missing a part or what? HELP! Thanks.

Chris2 said:
Our Sunfish has a metal threaded tube through the hull which we understand is part of the original bailer. The replacement (plastic) bailer has a larger diameter than the heavily corroded metal tube so does not fit. We were advised to drill out the tube which I have now done. However, on looking at the replacement bailer, it seems to me that the plastic threaded tube which fits from the inside of the sunfish, does not screw down far enough to hold the bailer body tight against the underside of the hull. Am I missing a part or what? HELP! Thanks.

There is an O-ring that sits in a groove in the part of the bailer that's under the hull.
For a diagram, see
http://www.apsltd.com/Tree/d90000/e88842.asp

In case you run into problems, just remove the bailer and use a rubber stopper.

Good luck out there!

Hi guys. Thanks for the replies. I have the new bailer, so I shall try and see what happens. I'll let you know... Cheers chris

If you have problems, there is a new metal bailer for sale on eBay right now. Item # 250026177867. Or, do a search for Sunfish Sail.

Frank

Hi Raupp. Thanks for your message. i have already cut our old heavily corroded metal bailer out of my sunfish, and bought a plastic replacement. The problem is that the screwed thread on the part that screws down into the hull is too long to hold the bailer body tight against the bottom of the hull. I guess the solution is to cut it shorter. Any thoughts? I am reluctant to cut it as this is supposed to be a Sunfish spare, so presumably Sunfish know what fits and would supply something needing cutting? Chris

Sorry, I do not have any suggestions as I have not replaced a metal bailer with the newer plastic one. I guess just be sure you have all the parts that should be included with the plastic bailer including the "O" ring.

Maybe you could contact Vanguard and ask them if they have any thoughts.

Good luck.

Frank

Chris2, the new style plastic bailer does not fit tight to the bottom of the hull. There is a gap of about 1/8" on both of the hulls I own. This does not effect the performance of the bailer at all.

Chris,

Maybe this picture will help. As bbryant said, the bailer does not fit tight to the hull. If the gap is a problem for you, put a bead of marine silicon around the bailer and smooth it out.

Attachments

• IMG_1307a.jpg
    IMG_1307a.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 57

Back