first laser first race

jcal

I just bought a 1980 laser in mint condition! I have sailed on sunfish, and a Lazer II which was a blast, but never the laser. Will the laser be a blast too? or did I make a foolish decision. I plan to race in Newport, RI where I live.
What can I expect from my first laser race. I have only raced/crewed on
larger boats, and definitly need to learn all the rules though I know the basics. Should I just go for it and hope I don't hit anyone. Maybe I should take a class to prepare. I have concluded that frostbiting is not the best time to start but if someone can sell me a used dry suit I'm sure I could reconsider.

Justine

I just bought my first laser in July, having never sailed a laser before. I had owned it for less than a week when i sailed it for the first time ever, in a regatta. I was really nervous about hitting people, as well as doing well. My advice to you is to get out there, do your best, and while you are out there on the course, pay attention to what the other laser-ites are doing. Thats the nice thing about racing one designs. All the boats are the same and therefore you can match your technique to the other sailors as well as match your sail trim and course with the others. After the racing, talk to the other sailors about the race and ask them for any advice.

Thats one of the things I love about laser sailors: We are like one big family. Laserites are always friendly and love to help each other learn, in order to enhance the competition.

Welcome to Lasering, Justine!

Sunfish and Laser II are docile, tame, domesticated animals next to the Laser!

Will the Laser be a blast? Definitely! The photographic evidence is too striking to present to you right now. Suffice it to say that she can surely pick you off your feet and toss you five yards away from your hull, in the right conditions. Such imagery is even censored not to appear in "Dr. Crash" (Sailing World magazine). So:

"Don't ever let go of that mainsheet" (as "Rebecca" says.)

You will love it! And maybe you will become the greatest mainsheet trimmer and driver the Newport scene has ever seen. (The Laser is also the standard training boat for all big boats.)

Shevy Gunter

I must disagree, Laser II's are not docile tame domesticated animals next to the laser. They are mean little animals that don't like to co-operate, and must be forced to do what you want, (along with your crew).

Beam reaching a LaserII in 20 knots with a 180 pound crew fully flat on trapeze is not tame.

You made a great choice. Welcome to the class!

When the weather gets warmer, try surfing the swells from Newport up to Warwick. The Laser can provide a real adrenaline rush when the daggerboard is humming.

The Laser II is a great boat too, but a different challenge. Learning to communicate with crew and performing jibes in high winds are equally satisfying.

I use my Laser II to train youth sailors. It runs head-to-head with the other Lasers, even with an extra 200 lbs.

Back