Finding the Serial Number?

TMartoonis

Hi All...
I have done some digging into the age of my new Old Fish, and can narrow it down to 1965-1968. There are stripes on the hull, which first appeared in '65, but no AMF logo, which appeared in 1969 (according to the files on the yahoo group). The problem is that the Alcort manufacturers' plate is missing. I can't get an actual serial number to look up.

Does this number appear anywhere else on the boat? It is too early a model to have the HIN embossed on the transom. Or am I stuck with an approximation? Not that it changes anything, but it would be nice to know!

Thanks for any info!

TM,

I think you are stuck, I don't believe the serial number was anywhere else. The engraved HIN was started in 1972 and should be located in the upper right hand corner of the transom. 1971 saw the storage compartment introduced. Both of which you seem to indicate you do not have. My 1969 (still have the # plate) has a rectangular Alcort International Sunfish decal on the hull sides about even with the mast step. It also had a decal (possibly AMF?) on the forward wall of the footwell, but i can only see the shadow of it. Do you have the original sail? A change was made in 1967 to the sails with an improved shape of the Ratsey & Lapthorn (Red Half Moon logo) sails. 1968 sales brochure introduced a white R & L sail with Red and Blue Stripes about 2" wide at the head. As you know from the files AMF bought Alcort in 1968. Check the deck right behind the splash guard (about 2") for 2 pin holes about 2-1/4" apart, thats where the plate with serial number was attached. This info may not narrow things down for you unless you happen to have the white sail (1968). Good luck on your search.

Supercub, that is the sail I have. If you see my post about repairing the sail. The white (now gray and stained) sail has two stripes, red and blue, about 2 inches wide, at the head. The R&L logo is long gone, but it fits the description. I will therefore presume this is the original 1968 sail, and presume the boat to be a '68 also. Thanks for the help!

Tomorrow I try to sail with it (if the bailer replacement goes well). I will post the results. I wonder how well I will sail to windward with a 38-year old sail!

In the words of Indiana Jones, "It's not the years but the mileage." Even very old sails can work well if they are not blown out or so soft they lose their aerodynamic shape going to windward.

Alan Glos

It's the soft condition of the sail I am worried about. Good weather is expected tomorrow, so looks like I will find out. I found one of those collapsible paddles that fit in the cockpit, just in case. Actually, I expect I can still go to windward, but not as closely as I would like. I tightened the outhauls fairly snug, in the hope that this will help keep the aerodynamic shape.

Actually back in the olden days it was common for racers to just setup the spars with the sail on it horizontally and then pile weight into the sail where they wanted to form it. Even the "new generation" Ratsey sails were really flat. The practice stopped with the advent of the Fogh sail.

Back