Fiberglass Mast?

WOP31

Hello
So I came across this Fiberglass Mast/Spar set up on ebay, and have been searching the forum and the internet all day and can't seem to find anything discussing them.

Anyone have any info on fiberglass masts? Not looking at buying it, just really curious about them. There seems to be a lot of talk about alternative mast & Spar set ups, wondering if this would be a cost effective alternative, not class legal I am sure.

I came across this Fiberglass Mast/Spar set up on ebay, and have been searching the forum and the internet all day and can't seem to find anything discussing them. Anyone have any info on fiberglass masts?
I believe what you are looking at isn't fiberglass, but wood. And judging by the lengths given, the cast bronze gooseneck, what appear to be "Racelite" blocks, and a multi-colored Ratsey-Lapthorn sail (very likely nylon) lashed to the spars ... my thought is that's the rigging from a late 1950s Standard model (11' 7" LOA) Sailfish .

The sail measures 119 x 110 x 110

The mast is 100" [8' 4"] the two longer riggings poles are each 116" [9' 8"].

G2SM641b501c-992e-4dab-b57b-a246f3097456-15597.jpg

G2SMdee88f69-31c8-4682-9fd1-6f3a9a64ddea-15597.jpg

G2SMd4bcabec-fa6b-48cc-96f3-64030bbc8bd3-15597.jpg

G2SM4a947be0-1418-444b-9c6f-107de18a8a2d-15597.jpg

G2SM81b0ac0f-d501-4e41-8301-39276a1a4c2b-15597.jpg

G2SM894a671b-6c7c-4d1d-835c-5f2d98ff2c81-15597.jpg

See I knew that someone would know more about them on here, I am glad I asked. Now that you mention it they do look a lot more like wood than fiberglass. I was basically going off of what the listing said.

Thanks for the info Wayne. I am in the market for a mast but this doesn't look to be for me. Would they even be worth buying/using or were there any inherent problems with them? Just for informational purposes.

Would they even be worth buying/using or were there any inherent problems with them? Just for informational purposes.
I do not think you'd want that rig on a modern Sunfish, If my observations about its ID are accurate, it only carries a sail of 65 sq ft. Present day Sunfish sails are 75 sq ft.

Sitka Spruce (the wood Alcort used for mast & spars) is very functional and still in use on classic style boats.

You could make a mast & spars in the traditional style from the same wood, however, I think you'll discover the basic wood and subsequent finishing will run similar to, if not exceed the cost of aluminum.

300px-SailingCanoe.jpg

I think you'll discover the basic wood and subsequent finishing will run similar to, if not exceed the cost of aluminum.

I could see that. Being an avid woodworker as well, I have seen how much the prices on lumber have gone up over the last few years.

I love the look of that canoe though, I have seen it on some other sites as well. Kinda neat.

I could see that. Being an avid woodworker as well, I have seen how much the prices on lumber have gone up over the last few years.

I love the look of that canoe though, I have seen it on some other sites as well. Kinda neat.
That particular picture is out of Wikipedia's public domain library. The canoe is a classic Old Town and that exact sail rig was the influence for Alcort in the very beginning. If you look closely you'll see that's a Ratsey-Lapthorn made sail.

I apologize for going slightly off thread , but there's a fiberglass 1971 Old Town Sailing Canoe on eBay right now , with aluminum spars.
It's nothing to do with me ( I'd keep it if it was ! ) , but it is a nice looking sailing canoe ;
Item # 280498407310

I apologize for going slightly off thread , but there's a fiberglass 1971 Old Town Sailing Canoe on eBay right now , with aluminum spars.
It's nothing to do with me ( I'd keep it if it was ! ) , but it is a nice looking sailing canoe ;
Item # 280498407310

I saw that one on there earlier today, it is a very nice set up. I would definitely like some thing like that.

Back