Fiberglass and Gelcoat repair Help

sylvestre_7

I just purchased a 1981 sunfish. It requires some repairs to the bottom of the hull. The fiberglass does not seem to have any dry rot but there are a couple of deep dings through the gel coat to the fiberglass sheeting. Is there anyone with Gelcoat experience that could give me some pointers or even suggest a good book to get me started?

Matt Sylvestre

I'm in the same position as you. I'm getting ready to do some repairs myself. I have "Sailboat Hull & Deck Repair' by Don Casey ($21.95) and 'The Fiberglass Boat Repair Manual' by Allan H. Vaitses ($29.95). I got them for almost half that price at Amazon.

I have not done the work yet, but both seem very clear and make me feel like I can easily do the work.

Hi, I'm new to the forum ... looks very interesting. I just purchased my first sunfish and it has some damage that sounds similar to that described above. Slysv and Lakeland, have you attempted your repairs yet? Did the products work out? Do you have any additional suggestions? Thanks.

I have not started the Gelcoat or Fiberglass repair yet. In my little free time I have been refurbishing the dagger board. Do yourself a favor before you get started and purchase the two books discussed in this forum. I got alot of information from them.

I purchased the varnish for the dagger board from Jamestown Distributors. They also supply gelcoat and fiberglass supplies. They are extremely helpful if you have any questions. If you are going to do your own gelcoat repairs the only advice I have is stay away from the Kits they sell with pigments. They are overpriced and your better off buying pigments separately so you can match the color of the repaired section with the rest of the boat.

Good Luck,

Matt

Well count me in! I just picked up a pair of sunfish and both need a bit of TLC. I am ordering the books (trying interlibrary loan to save some $$$ :) ) Anyone completed their repairs yet? Any tips, encouragement, etc???

Hi Jeremiah, I haven't completed my repairs, but I am reading the recommended books and hope to begin soon.

I could use some advice to help determine exactly what kind of repair I need to make. There is a hole in the bottom of the boat, through the gel coat. To my inexperienced, untrained eye, the fiberglass looks ok, however, I expected to see the fiberglass right under the gel coat but instead there seems to be space between the gel coat and the fiberglass layers. I'm not sure what this means.

A guy in my local boat shop told me to fill the hole with putty and that should take care of it. I have not found damage similar to mine illustrated in either of the books and I am unsure if I should grind it down.

Is there anyplace to find close-up pictures of different sorts of repairs? This is my first boat repair so I really need some references.

Below is a photo of the hole. I used a macro lens to photograph it, it's about 1/2" to 5/8" in diameter.

http://www.sunfishforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=206&stc=1&d=1146805648

I'm also posting photos of the rest of the damage: A crack on the bottom near the centerboard slot, and some cracks around the metal trim. A few grommets are missing around the bow area.

(I also need to replace the self bailer cap and repair some holes in the sail.)

Hope someone can steer me in the right direction. Thanks.

Attachments

• hole in sunfish.jpg
    hole in sunfish.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 57

Back