Favorite wind strength

sailor327

Im just doin a poll to see what type of winds most people prefer. I personally like the 8-15 range because i only weigh 135 lbs. and anything higher begins to be a bit of a handful. And yes i know most if not all laser sailors love screaming fast firehose reaches on a windy day but fore some reson i dont find them extremely exciting and i dont know why. What do you guys like and what are winds are you the best in.

how old are you...and tall? im 15yrs at 5 foot 7, at 136 pounds, and i like about 20 -25 knts in radial. 15 is alot, and any wind above 15 is good for me :D. anything that i can beam reach, crank sails in and leave, go so fast i cant see 5 feet in front of me.

dang im a little taller than you and 16 and weigh actually weigh 136. i just dont really like heavy winds cause you cant go to windward without pinching or footing when it gets above 20. I might be thinkin 15 is heavier than it really is because i never have like a wind meter or anything so i dont know exactly how strong the wind really is.

in lowest or highest tide, when it pause for some time and without wind the water would be glass, 15 will show a white cap in 1/2 the waves you see. 15 knots is aprox 16 or so mph i belive. and i lovee planing :)

oniondip said:
how old are you...and tall? im 15yrs at 5 foot 7, at 136 pounds, and i like about 20 -25 knts in radial. 15 is alot, and any wind above 15 is good for me :D. anything that i can beam reach, crank sails in and leave, go so fast i cant see 5 feet in front of me.

Screaming reaches are great, but what if you're sailing a W/L? or what about upwind period?

I don't have a favourite windspeed range. I can do well in all conditions, so I don't particularly have a favorite.

racing?? 0 to 5 It is the condition where size becomes 100% irrelevent and the sailing is pure survival of the skippers who can find a way to connect the puffs

Cruising to nowhere? There are few free pleasures that rival reaching back and forth in about 15. Broader reaching becomes super planing fun at 20

Days when nobody seems to have time to sail?? Flat calm no breeze and raining so the lake fills.

way over 200 lbs and under 6 feet

Cruising just for the plasure of being out all day? 8 to 10 and there is no labor, just a boat slipping through the water.

W/L ? im sorta new to lasers. And upwind im great, i hike hard, sail wont luff in 15 for me, i keep it flat pretty good.

so can most people but in 19 plus it becomes a bit of a chore. W/L means windward leeward as in a racing course.

o, ok, yeah i just finished reading roosters 4th deminsion thing for the 5th time. i understand how to sail downwind in chopy waves...now i just gotta practice going that far into the lee. without dieing. haha

Much like the Gouv, I think it depends on where you're going and what you're doing.

As we deal with tidal flows between 5 and 8 knots every day, sailing at our club doesn't take place if the wind is below about 5 knots, 'cos the rescue boats dont like towing us all out of the nuclear power station reservoir!
I like those light days, as I seem to have the knack of keeping myself moving in the right direction!
Downwind, I like the survival stuff, 25+ makes me smile!
upwind,and reaching a nice 15 gusting 20 keeps me happy, I can just hike comfortably and go semifast.

15-25 - anything under 10 is a bit too much of a lottery, and I'd rather go sailboarding over 25... having said that, you can't quite match the rush of a Laser in an hour or so in 30-35kts...

Back