Fastener for RWO universal

Jeffrey Ward

How should an RWO universal be fastened inside an aluminum tiller extension? My universal broke last weekend. I have received a replacement from APS, but it does not come with a fastener. The original part seems to be held in place by some sort of rivit that passes through one side of the extension, the entire universal, and then the other side of the extension. I don't know how that sort of fastener works. I am familiar with pop rivits, screws, and nuts and bolts. So, after I drill it out and remove the broken universal, should I fasten the new one with a screw?

Absolutely, you need to pin it. No, APS doesn't include it but I learned the hard way the first Wednesday night after replacing mine. Jerked hard to avoid hitting a boat at a rounding and it pulled right off. Lost the extension in the chaos afterwards. Drill all the way through and insert a small cotter pin.

The Ronstan ones come with a 3/16 pin. You place the urethane swivel completely assembled into the tube. Take a 3/16" drill and bore a hole about half way down the urethane. You need to slowly run the bit up and down to ream out the rubber. Then just hammer the thing thru the tube. I've used 3/16" stainless clevis pins in the past to reuse a swivel after the tiller broke. Just grind or file off the top. The Ronstan ones are long and need to be filed back as well. Then take a few wraps of black electrical tape to cover up the pin and transition from the tube to the swivel. I just had to make 5 short tiller extensions for our training boats(Firebugs).

Back