Fast, New, Shiny Boat

PiersHS

/Hi all,

Buying a new laser soon I think and am going to arrange a time with LP where I can go up and look at a few boats to decide which one is 'fast'.

What are the ideal, go-fast settings for a laser such as weight, mast rake? Is there anything else I should check?

BTW I am UK-based

All lasers are One-Design boats and so there are not different makers with different speed boats. Theoretically every new boat should be the same speed. There should be very, very little difference in hull weights (when brand new).

Assuming you are talking about a Laser 1, the mast is not stayed, and so there should be no difference in mast rake between boats (any rake is due to the mast step). You can add as much extra bend as you like with combinations of the sail controls.

It is said that ability and experience will give you better speed than perfect sail-control settings and therefore would be more important than subtle micro-differences in the hull...

All lasers are One-Design boats and so there are not different makers with different speed boats. Theoretically every new boat should be the same speed. There should be very, very little difference in hull weights (when brand new).

Assuming you are talking about a Laser 1, the mast is not stayed, and so there should be no difference in mast rake between boats (any rake is due to the mast step). You can add as much extra bend as you like with combinations of the sail controls.

It is said that ability and experience will give you better speed than perfect sail-control settings and therefore would be more important than subtle micro-differences in the hull...

Yes, but after seeing some of the major variations in foil alignment and mast rake- of about 1-2inches, getting a boat that is bang on the spec will only help build speed, obviously controls and the sailor are going to make the biggest difference but I would like to get as much help as I can get!

From a dealer's point of view if there are no cosmetic flaws, new boats are all the same. They will probably limit the amount of tire-kicking you can do.

From a dealers point of view, a sale is a sale. If you have the money and are simply asking to take some measurements and thoroughly look over the boat without actually putting it in the water or doing anything that changes its "brand new" status, I cant see why they would care one way or another. Especially in this economy where people aren't spending nearly as much on "toys". If they have several boats to choose from they risk losing nothing other than a little time, and any good salesperson knows that spending a little time on a large sale is worth it every time.

I'd be amazed if LPE let you measure the boat at all. You get what you are given unless you find a major fault usually with them

Oh, well then it might be a plan just to check the foil alignment which is where I have seen the worst variations to make sure there aren't any major variations.

Oh, well then it might be a plan just to check the foil alignment which is where I have seen the worst variations to make sure there aren't any major variations.

My rudder was out by miles on my current boat as LPE had fitted the gudgeons incorrectly. At least thats an easy fix.

Check your new boat very carefully when you collect it is my advise.

I had a friend go to Long Bucky to collect their new boat and their hull had crazing in the gelcoat indicating the hull had been knocked about during manufacture (or more likely) whilst in storage waitng for him to collect it.

He refused to take the boat that had been assigned to him.

After many hours of 'discussion' with the sales people he was given a different boat.

He had to threaten to call the sale off and demand his money back before they would do anything though!

Ah cheers for the warnings, I might give LPE a ring before I go and say can I take a look at 3-4 different boats.

You do get some awful horror stories from LP occasionally... However their service to me so far has been top class. Lets hope the boat is just as good!

Don't let a mate of mind hear that, he has had a nightmare with his new boat (foils mainly) and he has a bent top section (only 6 months old).

Not helped by it being involved in an incident with yours truly at the helm resulting in a 4 inch split under the gunwhale....

Ouch that must have been an awkward conversation afterwards!

What was the trouble with the foils?

It's decided now that we are buying new so this means the sad sale of Laser 136077- check out the ad

- Your current Laser is a little bit older Jeffers- fancy upgrading to something a little shinier? I think you gave me some help re-finishing the hull on the Y&Y forum. :p

The foils kept breaking or just falling apart. To be fair they were from the first batch of the new GRP foils that LPE produced so that may have been down to teething problems with the first batch.

He does not have a set which seems to be lasting well (they certainly look nice).

They are prone to chipping though so make sure you have a decent foil bag.

As for my hull, it is a wreck and will probably be consigned to the great Laser heaven in the sky when I can afford something a little newer. It does have a very shiny bottom though thanks to a refurb by Paintcraft about 8 months before I bought it. The problem with it is the decks and cockpit that are failing on it.

Ah, sounds nasty. I have heard that they chip easily but quality is getting better...

Well I apologise for the shameless advertising but I'll do a quick plug in case it suits-

Laser 136077, Radial and Standard rigs, XD and Harken throughout, Radial sail used 4 times and Top section used twice. Inland sailed and in immaculate condition with virtually not a single scratch.

£1600

Attachments

• yn11d1-784.jpg
    yn11d1-784.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_3999SMALL.jpg
    IMG_3999SMALL.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 63
Make sure the daggerboard and rudder line up, weigh the hulls to find the lightest one, measure the rake and find one that is close to 152" (raked slightly forward) from the top of the lower mast to the center of the transom. measure to the side to make sure the mast is verticle, check for dings, cracks and chips

Make sure the daggerboard and rudder line up, weigh the hulls to find the lightest one, measure the rake and find one that is close to 152" (raked slightly forward) from the top of the lower mast to the center of the transom. measure to the side to make sure the mast is verticle, check for dings, cracks and chips

Like LPE will let you do any of that! Only the top guys get any chance to choose their boat. Us mere mortals get what we are given.

Jeffers - top sections being bent within 6 months is not unusual. Mine and lasernuts last far less than that, you just have to straighten them yourself and end for end them to double the life when you think its getting too weak.

Back