excessive wear on centerboard trunk

moms hooked

Anyone know how to deal with excessive wear on the centerboard trunk, caused by using bungy cords that pull the centerboard forward at an angle? Here is a photo of my boat when I purchased it last fall, and I think it has gotten worse since the photo was taken. This is the deck side at the front of the trunk. Bottom side aft is also bad.

My daughter's Opti has four little rubber pieces that you glue into the fore and aft, top and bottom of the daggerboard trunk. Does anyone use these on Sunfish? Do they fit? Do they work? I'm concerned that I am developing a weak spot, or may wear far enough through the hull to cause a leak.

Thanks,
Moms hooked

Attachments

• IMG_2438.jpg
    IMG_2438.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 41
Perhaps the bungees are pulling unneccesarily hard. When raising/lowering the center board try grabbing the CB at the top and pull back while pushing it down or raising it up, this should alleviate the wear.

Anyone know how to deal with excessive wear on the centerboard trunk, caused by using bungy cords that pull the centerboard forward at an angle?

My daughter's Opti has four little rubber pieces that you glue into the fore and aft, top and bottom of the daggerboard trunk. Does anyone use these on Sunfish? Do they fit? Do they work? I'm concerned that I am developing a weak spot, or may wear far enough through the hull to cause a leak.

Great picture..., thanks for the visual to accompany the description.

Daggerboard Slot Inserts (Opti rubber bits) seem like they might help. If you race, the rules governing both deck and board appear to allow these. See how you interpret the rule book paragraphs and maybe run it by your regional Measurer as well.

2724.jpg

I was thinking this might also be an ideal application for tight nap I/O carpet / door mat strips or the soft side of a Velcro strip running the full height of the slot ends.

Back