Dry suit suggestions - women/smaller sizes

Meryl

I'm starting to think about my first winter season of laser sailing. I've been told to invest in a dry suit. Any suggestions? I'm 5'3" ~120-125 pounds.

I'm a huge GoreTex fan from other activities -- anyone use the Kokatat dry suits (made for kayaking)?

Thanks to all!

I use a women's Kokatek dry suit, and I really like it. I've worn it two seasons now. It's been laundered half a dozen times and it's keeping its water repellency. The women's cut means it's suitably roomy in the right places. It also has a seat zipper, which I've never tried to use. The sizes seem to run true, not larger or smaller than the standard. Remember the thickness of layers that you plan to wear underneath it when choosing the size. I've used it two years now, and at the end of the first year I hurried while pulling it off and tore the neck gasket. I was able to replace it myself. It took an afternoon of patience and it's a bit sloppy, but it does the job.

at the end of the first year I hurried while pulling it off and tore the neck gasket. I was able to replace it myself. It took an afternoon of patience and it's a bit sloppy, but it does the job.
Mine (including wrists/feet) are probably 75% sail number tape nowdays. Works fine and it's a hell of alot easier than getting new ones.
I've switched them a few times but it's just to bothersome =P

Thanks! About half of the dry suits I see online (especially Kokatat's) have rubber middle/waist sections. I assume this has something to do with their paddling design. Some of them don't have that. Any thoughts as to which is more comfortable or has other advantages? (This is a big investment so...)

Thanks!!

There were/are some two piece designs which "roll" together in the middle - kayakers mainly.

For frostbiting, you want the one piece design, with booties...

Look at the Gill or Gul breathable suits both of which now use neoprene glideskin instead of latex in the neck gaskets (Gul uses it in the wrist as well). An XS in either would fit you well. While not "Gore-Tex" they both are breathable and saves you about $150 in paying for the "gore-tex" name.

cant be specific about ladies fit, but Musto makes IMHO the best drysuit you can buy. Its pricey, but it will last. Mine is goretex with latex boots, neck seal, and wrist seals. My buddies all bought Kokotats, and have been happy with them, but...have replaced neck seals on all of them, and we have had them since spring of 2004 with much use. I have not replaced any seals as of yet, and they still look good. The fit is great, the material is durable and the warmth and dry feel after sailing in the cold was well worth it.
I will say the Kokotats latex booties were replaced with gore tex booties and those guys are real happy with them. For men, get a relief zipper, you will be thankful you did. I had mine sewn in by Rainy Pass in seattle, about $120 dollars. The suit came from Sailing pro shop in California.

Bottom line, even the cheap suits will be nicer than a wetsuit or spray gear, but once you have sailed in a good one(good fit, good material) you will wonder why you waited so long to get one.

Thanks! About half of the dry suits I see online (especially Kokatat's) have rubber middle/waist sections. I assume this has something to do with their paddling design. Some of them don't have that. Any thoughts as to which is more comfortable or has other advantages? (This is a big investment so...)

Thanks!!
the rubber looking thing that you see is spray skirt cover. it goes over the spray skirt so that you can have more protection from the water getting in the kayak

Back