Downwind sailing ( outhaul position )

JuanCH

Hi there, I was just wondering how do you guys set the outhaul on a run in light winds? I've read somewhere that is better to carry the foot of the sail a little bit flatter so that the winds has something to push against but I've seen pictures of good sailors carrying their sails very baggy (very loose outhaul) Which one do you suggest for light wind (on a run??) Thanks a lot!

In light air my outhaul setting does not change between upwind and downwind. I have a "max loose" setting and that is where it stays. The rule among some in our area is "hang loose". This is the measurement between your extended thumb and pinky finger when you make the "hang loose" sign with your hand that is common among surfers. The distance between your thumb and pinky is the same as the distance from your clew to the pad eye on the end of the boom. It should translate directly to your body size as to what your max loose setting should be.

Does this make any sense or did I just ramble???

Makes perfect sense! thats exactally what I do! Though now that I think about it, wouldnt a flat sail be better? It would give less depth to the sail but more sail area, or more wind hitting the sail!

There's 2 theories. Doug Peckover, (fmr mstr world champ) believes in projected sail area, (at least he did when I spoke with him about this in '94). However, it is known that a looser outhaul creates more power in the sail. I go with the power theory, but I'm also a heavy sailor too at 200 lbs. Doug is not.

In light winds max loose outhaul is best - in VERY light winds (drifters) it is good to have the sail flattened a bit

max loose setting is the same upwind as it is down, 1 hand width: fingertips to watchband at the first boom block. if extreme circumstances dictate downwind, a little looser, but that rarely happens

Changing the subject a little how did it go in Chasn. past weekend Rob.

I posted a regatta report. It was a little wacky, but in the end, (after 2 RAF's from sunday's race) I finished up tied for 3rd out of 23 boats. I'm pleased with that result.

Thanks for asking.

I've been trying to work this one out as well. We have very good sailors that do each method and it doesn't seem to make much difference. The heavier guys seem to favour a baggy outhaul, I suppose thinking that it means more power. But baggy = power is only relevant going upwind isn't it ? - when the airfoil effect is working. If you're going close to ddw then the sail is just being pushed and max area would probably help. Or does baggy "catch" the wind better ?? Then again if your not ddw and using BTL + broad reach, and sail IS airfoiling then outhaul setting would depend on wind speed.
Another one of those frustrating situations that make laser sailing so interesting!
I guess the best answer as usual is practice, try different methods, and sail/race against a friend with different methods.

max outhaul position is usually 9-10 inches, bearing point to bearing point from clew to fairlead.

Downwind in the light I go max ease. I feel I get a slightly more active leech with a little more hook, but that could just be my imagination.... ;)

Back