Dimensions of a gunwale supported trailer

More Cowbell

ALL,

From all the threads it seams the consensus is gunwale supported Lasers travel better, like the Kitty Hawk and Trailex designs. I am modifying an enclosed cargo trailer to haul a Laser, other kit, and camping accommodations for coast to coast travel. I do not own the boat yet. Does anyone know the proper dimensions on where the supports should be located? I am looking for fore/aft and centerline numbers. I am also looking for the height of the deck above the keel of the Laser. I do not mean the draft or deck to bottom of the dagger board. I am simply looking for the height of the deck if the hull was placed on the ground. I am trying to build a bed over the stored hull in the trailer. Thank you for all your help.

Very Respectfully,

More Cowbell

If you are talking about a enclosed trailer such as this: http://www.wellscargo.com/ , if it were me, I would not go to the trouble to build supports for the gunwale. I would go any of the following depending on the rest of the use of the space in the trailer:
1. Deck down on the floor of the trailer
2. On it's side against the side of the trailer
3. On it's dolly (wheels off, resting in the sling)
4. Deck down suspending from the ceiling..

I don't think there is general agreement that the gunwale trailers are the best way to move the Laser, but they are the best off the shelf trailer design that requires no modifications (ie reducing springs, or building your own supports for deck down transport)

I might have a drawing that could help you. It will have to wait until Monday since I am away from home and don't have that computer available.

Here are some basic dimensions of the points where I have my boat supported. I tried to get the supports farther aft around the rear edge of the cockpit. The measurements are in inches. I'd build a little adjust-ability into your design. I don't remember how exact these turned out in the end.

If you search for my posts, there should be some pictures of the finished product.

Attachments

• laser trailer.pdf
    20.9 KB · Views: 144

Back