Differences between Standard and Radial

Quagers

Ive just hit the magic 80kg and brought myself a full rig sail after sailing a radial for about 6 years. I keep hearing in threads on here that the sails need to be trimmed differently, can anyone outline the main similarities and differences?

In my (limited) experience of sailing the radial I found that it needed less cunningham, more kicker and slightly more outhaul upwind. Offwind slightly more kicker that the standard.

This may be because I am well over weight for the radial and only sailed it when it was stupidly windy!

I am sure SailorChick will chip in, she has much more experience of radial vd standard rigs.

Paul

Been a while since I've sailed a full rig now, having moved to the coast its rarely light enough for me to use it now. Plus Lasernut doesn't like me borrowing his rigs anymore after I snapped a top section ripping his brand new practice sail on a flat calm day - I managed to find the only patch of wind to practice roll tacking in that day!

I would usually be overpowered, mainly because I'm not tall enough for a full rig at 5'6'' so my controls would reflect this as I need to start depowering that much earlier in the wind range. Main difference I always found was how much easier it was downwind in the full rig, just seemed more balanced to me. The extra height in the mast makes roll gybing/tacking easier too - use to catch me out occasionally if I had been radial sailing more than full rig, first tack usually to big!

Back