DePersia Bailer

danpal

Okay, so I have an old Viking that I've been pulling parts from for my sunfish (aluminum trim, bow handle, etc...). Everything is stripped from it now and I'm about to cut it up in order to dispose of it in the dump.

The Viking was in awful shape. The previous owner had bolted and epoxied a piece of plywood to the stern and in the process of trying to remove the plywood the stern tore off. There were also numerous holes in the hull along the keel and when the boat was flipped you could hear all the foam blocks falling from side to side.

Now this is my question. I decided to remove the old DePersia bailer figuring that it could somehow be salvaged. I cut it out of the hull with a sawzall and removed all the fiberglass that was between the bolt and the body. I tried removing the bolt by clamping it in a vise and banging it with a hammer. I then let it sit in a container of PB Blaster for a week. My final attempt was to heat the bolt with a blow torch and then try removing it with a very large wrench, vise and a hammer. None of my attempts have worked. Does anyone have any ideas or is this a lost cause. I was thinking an impact wrench might work but I don't have a socket big enough.

Judging by my experience with DePersia bailer removal, I vote lost cause. The salt water corrosion on the threads was so great that it might have been welded together.

All is not lost.... you can do a science experiment with it to measure how corroded it is in PB Blaster months. Leave it soaking and report back. I did this with SS car exhaust tips that were stuck (corroded non ss set screw) on an old exhaust system that I cut out of my car. It took 6 PB Blaster months. I didn't leave it soaking the whole time, just gave it the occasional spray.

Back