Denver Area Sunfish sailors

jelfish

Any Denver area Sunfish sailors race in any of the local series like Cherry Creek DSA, Chatfield, Union, Carter ? None of these seem to have a designated Sunfish class which probably means not enough participants. That puts the Sunfish in a Portsmouth rating going up against a mish-mash of other boats. Case in point, I raced in the Aspen Regatta in July. Despite probably 20 Sunfish in the racks or dolly's at the club, I was the only Sunfish in the regatta ( mostly Laser, Star, J-22 ). Subsequently the boats in the Portsmouth class were Teva, MC scow which kinda blew the Sunfish away. So my question of you Sunfish folks...would there be any interest in trying to get some more boats on the line in the Denver area to race as a class ?

Bought a Sunfish Monday. Have a lot to learn. Joined Colorado Sail and Yacht Club csyc.com, plan to race with them eventually. I live in Silverthorne and am waiting for a new mainsheet before I haul the Sunfish down to Denver altitude for
the warmer water there. The lakes up here are too cold. Also, see Colorado Sunfish Sailing Association on Facebook. There is no association, but there is a Facebook page.

Bought a Sunfish Monday. Have a lot to learn. Joined Colorado Sail and Yacht Club csyc.com, plan to race with them eventually. I live in Silverthorne and am waiting for a new mainsheet before I haul the Sunfish down to Denver altitude for
the warmer water there. The lakes up here are too cold. Also, see Colorado Sunfish Sailing Association on Facebook. There is no association, but there is a Facebook page.
Thanks, drop me a note when you come down Chatfield and perhaps I can bring my Sunfish over and go for a sail. Chatfield is about 15 mins from home. Really trying to get some traction with CO Sunfish folks so we can get some fleet racing in. Cheers

Thanks, drop me a note when you come down Chatfield and perhaps I can bring my Sunfish over and go for a sail. Chatfield is about 15 mins from home. Really trying to get some traction with CO Sunfish folks so we can get some fleet racing in. Cheers
Thank you. Have not sailed it yet. Will be getting new trailer bearings on the 15th. Will haul the boat down after that.

Charley

I joined the Steamboat Yacht Club years ago. All that’s left is my T-shirt.
I sailed on a Tornado a few summers back in NH. Pretty sure we were clocking 30 knts +. I was flying the trap and getting blasted by the spray. Skipper said was the fastest he'd been on it in a long time. We were definitely haul'n some mail. Great fun.

Nothing even close to a Tornado. I did around 35 with four large adults, one in trapeze, flying a hull. Probably pretty close to a train wreck But it held together. I had rebuilt both hulls and added glass to the transoms and aluminum backer plates all around. I beat up on the Nacra down the lake and the Melgus 24. There are a couple Hobie cats but not much competition.

Chas, get a rope on that main and get going. Winter is on the way. There is an interesting looking lake at Nederland. Usually a few boats sailing. Wheel bearings usually in stock here at Farm & Fleet or Tractor Supply. Any trailer place will have them. Nationally, Motion Industries does bearings and that is a very common one. - Or find it on line.

Attachments

• IMG_8746.jpeg
    IMG_8746.jpeg
    913.4 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_2511.jpeg
    IMG_2511.jpeg
    339.3 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_2503.jpeg
    IMG_2503.jpeg
    1,006.3 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_2712.jpeg
    IMG_2712.jpeg
    679.9 KB · Views: 60
Thanks
Have changed enough bearings in my life. Going to let someone else have the pleasure.

Charley

IF you are willing to drive a bit, the Lincoln Sailing Club hosts an annual Sunfish Regatta in Lincoln, Nebraska (Branched Oak Lake) each September. Typically we have 25 sunfish on the line and competitive sailors. You can see past year NORs on the Sunfishclass site - this year will be Sept 28-29, 2024. Free tent camping on site (though a daily park permit is required). I will have the information posted on the Sunfish site within a couple of weeks for this year. We have had sailors from Florida, Wisconsin, Kansas, Oklahoma, & Texas join us in the past.

Nothing even close to a Tornado. I did around 35 with four large adults, one in trapeze, flying a hull. Probably pretty close to a train wreck But it held together. I had rebuilt both hulls and added glass to the transoms and aluminum backer plates all around. I beat up on the Nacra down the lake and the Melgus 24. There are a couple Hobie cats but not much competition.

Chas, get a rope on that main and get going. Winter is on the way. There is an interesting looking lake at Nederland. Usually a few boats sailing. Wheel bearings usually in stock here at Farm & Fleet or Tractor Supply. Any trailer place will have them. Nationally, Motion Industries does bearings and that is a very common one. - Or find it on line.
Melges 24.

Just like my Tornado, but you've got a square-top main, a chute, a staysail and gold-anodized aluminum.

But I've got an Olympic Seal on the main! ;)

Back