delamination between deck and hull

Laserite

Let me start by saying I have searched past forums. However, I want to know the best way of removing the filling material between the deck and hull. The gunwhale has a split and I need to remove the filler to get sme epoxy in there. I see past forums have mentioned the use of a dremel. Has anyone any other ideas? Will a grinder work. I need to be careful so i don't chew out ether the deck or the hull material though. But I want to make sure I get all of the old filler out otherwise it could split again and that would be a really hard job to do again once my epoxy is in there.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Re: delamination between deck and hyll

Most grinding wheels are too thick - a cutoff wheel is better, but the mass of the grinder makes it harder to control then the Dremel.

The old school method is to use the pointed V of a hand held can opener and just gouge away the filler. Plenty of boats were repaired that way.

Re: delamination between deck and hyll

Dremel is the way to go. I bought a dremel several years ago and have used it for so many things, mostly on lasers or on my cape dory 30.

The best part about the dremel is you can control the RPM settings. On a grinding wheel you only have one or two settings while on a newer dremel you can vary the speeds from 3,000 to almost 60,000 RPM's. It's ideal for doing what you need to do!!!

Back