Deck separating from hull

crazyuncle

To my horror discovered today that my deck is beginning to separate from the hull just under the gunwhale about half way up. So far the gap is only about a couple of mm wide and about 5 cm long.
What can I do to repair it?

Re: Deck seperating from hull

be sure to remove all inspection ports and/or plugs when travelling because the pressure diffrence on the inside and outside of the hull can ruin the seal around the deck and cause it to separate.

Crazy Sailor

crazysailor said:
be sure to remove all inspection ports and/or plugs when travelling because the pressure diffrence on the inside and outside of the hull can ruin the seal around the deck and cause it to separate.

Crazy Sailor

Can you explain where you would drive that you would experience enough pressure difference (wether from changes in altitude or from temperature) in a short amount of time that the breather hole under the hiking strap at the front of the cockpit would not be able to keep up with the changes ? (that's exactly what's it's purpose is btw)

Removing the inspection port(s) while driving on the highway on a warm dry day is one way to dry out the inside of a wet hull.

I had a boat separate about four feet long from the deck and the hull. I could literally pull it apart and stick my hand in. What I did was purchased west system epoxy and microballons and the coated as much as i could and clamped it with 4 c clamps. Then after it dried i filled in the rest of the gap so the railing was flat. Then I went sailing on it and was trying to make the bikini girl fall off and was grabbing the railing to roll the boat back flat and sliced my hand up because of it. Remember to sand it down afterwords.

Back