Deck plate question

Discussion in 'Capri/Catalina 14 Talk' started by pat earing, Apr 22, 2015.

1. pat earing

pat earing Can't we sail the Capri instead?

So i plan to put to Beckson 4" deck plates on the vertical surface in the back of the cockpit so i can gain access to mount a ladder (on one side-two for symmetry.) Do i need to use threaded bolts with nuts or is the glass thick enough to support a wood type screw?

thanks

Pat

2. gregwcoats

gregwcoats Member

I thru bolted mine. Even used lock washers.

3. pat earing

Thanks! Bought a bunch of 8-32 bolts with nylock bolts. Using 3m sealer. Should have this finished up this weekend!

Pat

4. pat earing

Okay... mounting that 4" deck plate was a challenge. Getting inside, twisting your wrist around enough to get a wrench on the nut and tighten... was hard. Need to go get a magnet as I dropped three or four nuts and they will rattle around and drive me nuts-oh, and a socket too.

Good news is that the ladder is installed and the deck plate is on! Now to figure out what to do with the baby bob.

5. boat

boat Member

I hope your lost nuts can not be picked up with a magnet! Stainless steels doesn't react to magnets. You may want to try a stick with a little putty or stick tape on the end to retrieve your lost parts :rolleyes:

6. pat earing

Makes good sense-I am an idiot! The socket should come willingly.

7. WILD BILL

WILD BILL Member

I had this same problem doing this ladder installation. I dropped my flashlight and it rolled down to the center of the boat.
    I took a piece of strap metal and bent a 90 degree angle in the end of it and then reached back as far as I could. Then dragging it back towards the hole I made for the deck plate. I finally was able to snag the light. Pat, when you are finished with the final installation, post some picture of your project. Thanks WB.