Deck Plate Question

Bamafish

Splashin' 'round
The answer to this may be based on personal preference.
Is there a standard diameter size when it comes to deck plates/ inspection ports? I want to install three ports, bow (so that I can mount the handle), mid port behind the splash guard for storage or ventilation, and stern for a rudder upgrade. I don't want the ports to be too big or too small. Would the standard be say, 4" which would actually have about a 53/4" flange diameter, or a bit bigger with a 6" port that would actually have about a 8 " flange diameter?........... or as stated before, is this a preference thing?

Look at the "Drying Out Hull???" and "DeckHandle/Inspection Port" threads on page 2 of this forum.

I used 6" ports for easiest access.

Frank

I tried the 4" ports on one boat. All others since then I've went with the 6" ports. You wouldn't think the extra 2 inches would make that much difference but they do. I even go as far as to not install the port until all the inside hull repair work is done so I get that extra 1/2" or so between the hole and the inside opening of the port.

Hi, New to forum, new owner, old sunfish. My mast cleat is loose and I have a six inch inspection port to install so I can make proper repairs. Is there any internal structures I need to avoid when cutting the hole(s)?

Bama,

I use a 6" (6-1/2" hole) behind splash rail, 5" (5-1/2" hole) in the stern (port center about 6-7" forward of the rear deck edge). Don't have a foredeck port, but would probably use a 5". Check the Foam Block Reset Photos (picture 2) over at Yahoo Sunfish Sailor to see an inside picture of the forward center foam block. You may want to offset the port to miss this foam block and make reaching the bow handle area easier. Like Mike suggested, leave the port off until you get done with repairs.Good luck.

Jeanjocky,

Nothing to worry about structure wise. Same answer, check Sunfish Sailor, both the Hull Dry Out Files and the Foam Block Reset Photos for internal pictures. My port has the center of the port about 8" behind the "V" of the spashrail. See Wind Line Sails How-To, http://www.windline.net/index.html section for port installation instructions. I through bolted my deck cleat and deck pully (bullseye) with stainless steel hardware. Good Luck

Back